Dwarf Blue Gourami Sick " Surprise Surprise "

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Paddski

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
Hi

Not been on here for a while which is good news I suppose.  Set up a new tank back in early September 2014, Askoll 90 litre with Tropical.  Sand/Fine Gravel base, fake plantage and some ornaments.  25-27 deg.  Once cycled introduced fish gradually and currently have:

1 x Pleco Catfish approx 5 inches, 3 inches when bought
3 Red Platys - approx 2 inches each
2 x Dwarf Blue Gouramis - 2.5 inches each.  1 sick
4 x Rasbora Harlequins - 1 to 1.5 inches
5 Rummy Nose Tetras - 1 to 1 3/4 inch
5 Neon Tetras - 3/4 inch to 1 inch

I have maintained weekly water changes.  Feed them on flakes/pellets, micro foods.  The tap water around here is very hard and tests of water from tap are as follows.  Most fish keepers round here keep chichlids:

Nitri - 0
Nitrate - 5ppm
Ammo - 0
PH - 7.4

Tested tap water results with JBL 6 in 1 test strips which are not that accurate as you know:

Nitra - 10
Nitri - 0
GH - <3d
KH - 10-15d
PH - 7.4
Chloribe - 0

I have Kinetica Water Softerners fitted in my house but to be honest I am not 100% sure that the taps in the utility room where I use water for my tanks, have been through the softener!  I would think with chlorine reading 0 it has been

My weekly tests on tank water always read 0 for nitri and ammo and around 30-40ppm for nitra.

About a week ago, notice dwarf blue stuck in corner behind filter with nose buried into sand and looked very stressed.  I helped him out and he just fell on his side.  Been keeping an eye on him since then and he has not recovered.  I dont know for sure if it was being stuck that has stresses him or if it could be the disease or swim bladder.  I do not have quarantine tank so removed him into a pint glass mug and kept an eye on him changing the water every few hours with water from tank.  I have tried giving him peas, have tried epsom salt and he is not responding and still on his side.  His body looks fine and all ok, no marks, spots etc

He is not interested in eating.  The other gourami seems fine and is a bit bigger than he is and does pick on him

I am about to put him to sleep as its been a week and he has not improved but still seems strong?

Tested the tank water again today and all ok, nitrate a bit high at 40ppm + so 30% WC, cleaned all poop out.  PH at 8.2 which is where it sits always.  PH is around 7.4 out of tap and I have not tried testing PH out of tap after 24 hrs.

Could he have iridovirus

I have also noticed in last few days that 2 of the red platys have white marks on them but seem happy as larry?

Here are two links to vidoes.  1 of the tank in general and one of the sick fish

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jzzvH9hIp24&index=2&list=UUw7pHi3r-ddLkFdLOvx5NhA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3HPQ-VHXcn0&list=UUw7pHi3r-ddLkFdLOvx5NhA&index=1

Any ideas / comments welcomed

Paddy, Lincoln UK

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back