Dust From Gravel In Tankwater

Faythee

Fish Herder
Joined
Oct 30, 2007
Messages
1,039
Reaction score
1
Points
0
Location
Florida, USA
Ugghhhhh

I had to do a makeover on my tank so I moved my fish to my 10 gallon yesterday while I stripped it down. I bought a mixture of black and gray gravel. It was the worst I have seen. I must of rinsed it 50 times. I could barely move out of bed this morning my back was killing me so bad. I planned on moving my fish back tonite, but sure enough I see fine particles on top of the water and it isn't completely clear :crazy:

Is this harmful to the fish ?

Also, I had 2 filters on the tank. One is on the 10 gallon and the other is on this fishless tank. How long before the media dies off ?
 
Just add loads of filter floss or mating to your filter that will soon clear it up.
The fish should be ok.
Not wise to add fish back to a tank if there allowed of tiny bubbles on the glass, ornaments and plants.
 
I have not long set up a new tank, and had fine gravel, rinsed the life out of it and there were still particles floating, used an extra filter running along side the one the tank came with added extra filter wool to both.

Did a 75% water change and gravel vac, an hour later did a 50% water change and gravel vac. Then did a 30% water change and gravel vac.

Changed the floss wool stuff in both filters, did a 25% a while later, the water was clearing, stuck my eheim on the tank, the water was clear in an hour.

Maybe just try water changes, and gravel vac until it clears. Letting it settle as much as you can in between.

Good luck with it clearing soon.
 
I will do a water change and add a sponge first and see if that helps. I have a good amount of ammonia in my tap water which makes things a bit more difficult. I imagine the filter will eat it up since no fish in there. I hope !

I don't know if I can even pick up a bucket right now. I'll try in the morning.

Thank you ! I tend to be over paranoid :blush:
 
I have a good amount of ammonia in my tap water which makes things a bit more difficult.

Not always. Use a good water conditioner like Seachem Prime. Not only does it remove chlorine and chloramine but it also detoxifies ammonia. Your ammonia test will still show it's presence, but as far as the fish are concerned it's no problem. This gives your biological filter time to remove the ammonia without putting your fish in danger.
 
Thank you Robbie. I do use Prime and I agree it is an excellent product. Not sure what I would do without it :fish:
 

Most reactions

Back
Top