Dropsy or ??

Xiana

Reaction score
Hi,
S brought this guppy home a couple months ago. Thinking she was Prego. But no gravid spot and more than 30 days and she's still fully round and seems distended. Not sure if pics show well. I can't tell what a pinecone would look like.
And recently, noticeable this week. The new Molly, maybe 3 weeks home, is getting round.

I spend a Lot of time watching the aquarium. As I have no life during the week and fish are preferable to TV. Only fry are platys which I separated momma in time, so I know there are no lost fry.
Already tried salt bath, separation and peas for the last week. No difference in behavior compared to friends...they seem happy mischievous swimmers, no buoyancy or appetite issues.

Worry / not worry?

Thank you 🙏. - Christiana

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210617-205849.png
    Screenshot_20210617-205849.png
    708.5 KB · Views: 37
  • Screenshot_20210617-205919.png
    Screenshot_20210617-205919.png
    577.7 KB · Views: 36
  • Screenshot_20210617-205904.png
    Screenshot_20210617-205904.png
    570.2 KB · Views: 40
Top view pictures are best when diagnosing dropsy. But I don't see any signs here. I'm 99% sure the guppy is just pregnant and pretty close to dropping fry, judging by the squred-off shape. 30 days is about how long the gestation period can last. I don't think there's anything wrong with the molly either (it IS a balloon molly, right?😅), but it's really hard to see anything in that picture.
What kind of salt did you use?

Generally with dropsy, the fish will get fat overnight and its scales around the belly will stick out from the body. The sick fish will stop eating and produce a stringy white poop.

If the fish is eating well and has normal coloured poop, it does not have dropsy.

The fish look fine to me.

Not a balloon molly. This is new. She came home long and uh, straight? No belly. She could be pregnant as she's new. No males in the tank, but holding and all that, and the male guppies have been busy with the mollies, ignoring the guppy.
Guppy has been round for longer than 30 days. Eats and Poops fine. 🤷🏻‍♀️
Ok. I'll stop worrying. Thanks all!
Epson salt. 1 tsp/1g, then 2tsp, the 1tbsp. Different water of course.
No changes to bloating. So I guess it's a good thing I'm cycling a new 55g...🤦🏻‍♀️😎

Thank you for the reassurance. 🥰

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back