The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

bluealien98

Reaction score
A couple weeks ago i saw one of my Zebra Danios in my 10g tank, dead with its scales kind of sticking out. i researched it because it was strange and i thought it could be dropsy, i did not want to freak myself out because i figured it wasn't really dropsy but now i know for sure it is because my poor siamese algae eater is so swollen he looks like a pine cone and he has sores and its horrible.

Anyways, i saw this last night and i rushed out and bought some Tetracycline and some stress coat stuff and added it to the water but after much debating i have decided to euthanize my SIA as he is really suffering. I have read a lot about this and i decided to go with clove oil as it seems the most humane. How much clove oil should i use? he is about 2 and a half inches long. 

Also, seeing as i have started treating my tank for the dropsy as many of my fish have just gone missing and i only have three left in the tank other than the SIA i am wondering whether i finish the antibiotics on the tank or if i should just leave it? 
the other fish are a zebra danio a platy and a beta. they all seem healthy and fine so im not sure what to do. 

Please help, all suggestions will be helpful right now. 

Sorry to hear your fish is so sick
sad.png

For euthanasia, you need 20 drops of clove oil per litre of water; you'll need to mix the oil with a small amount of the water by shaking it up in a jar, then add it to the rest of the water, with the fish in, in a separate container (one you won't want to use again, as the smell of clove oil is very strong and hard to get rid of; I use an old, clean, margarine or ice cream tub).

I would not use antibiotics in the tank if your other fish appear healthy.

Also, dropsy is a symptom (like back ache or stomach ache in humans), not a disease in itself; it has a lot of potential causes. We'd need more details of your tank to identify what might have caused it.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back