Draining The Water

Ludwig Venter

Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator ⚒️
Joined
Jun 7, 2008
Messages
8,209
Reaction score
5
Points
38
Location
South Africa
Some of these babys are so minute (esp Betta fry), that even if I cover the end of the siphon hose with a silk stocking, they still manage to get through...

I put the submerged end of the hose through the cap of a plastic bottle - tight fitting (cut off the bottom) and cover the bottom with a silk stocking.

Any suggestions?? How do you do it??
 
I don't do water changes during the first week, after that I use a gravel cleaner and try to drain water from a section without too many fry in. Drain the water into a bucket and use a small measuring cup to return any fry that got taken out with the water.
Alternatively use an icecream bucket and scoop some water out.
 
A large piece of filter sponge over the end diffuses flow, keeping fry from being sucked up. For cleaning the bottom of fry tanks I have a length of air line cable tied to a wood dowel. I adjust the siphon with my thumb over the end in the bucket. Very few fry end up in the bucket this way, and the bottom of the tank gets clean.
 
Its almost impossible never to suck up a few. No matter how small a hose one uses, fry manage to take the wild ride. Just be sure to syphon into a bucket and you can get them back out. I often use a turkey baster for that task.
 
use a jug, i have had to check every bucket full of water for fry when theres any i may catch, as 9/10 times i do :blush:
 

Most reactions

Back
Top