Dragon Puffers

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

We've got two! Ours are call Smaug & Smeagol.

They are fairly easy to took after (for a puffer) as long as you are happy to feed live foods. and hoover the tank after every feed.

Dragon Puffers (t. palembangensis, also known as the Humpback Puffer & the King Kong Puffer) are true freshwater fish. They are ambush hunters, hiding in plants or caves until something tasty goes past then *WHAM!* they lunge for it.

They are one of the most inactive puffers, spending all day sitting on the bottom, often looking worryingly dead. (I've had to poke ours a few times, just to be sure!)

Dragons get to around eight inches and so will need a fairly large tank, although because they are so inactive, they don't need huge amounts of room.

Food is anthing meaty that moves such as live shrimp, jumbo bloodworm (jokers) fish, small crabs & crayfish.

They can be weaned onto frozen mussels, cockles & shrimp, but it takes a while! We've had ours for months and they're only just beginning to show interest in frozen cockles.

They have amazing colour changing abilities, especially on their bellies which can be dark spotted then go pure white in an instant depending on mood.

They can not be kept with other fish. Small fish will be eaten and larger fish will stress these timid puffers who may attack when under stress.

We have been succesfully keeping two Dragon puffers together. Sometimes they chase each other, and sometimes they cuddle up together in a cave.

Need to know more? just ask!

Ours cost about £37, so I'd say yes, $19 is a good price.

betta_lova said:
Whats the minimal tank size? Are they easy to breed? Are they brackish?
Minimum tank size for one adult dragon puffer is 40gallons

As for the water type, as I said in my original post, Dragon puffers are true freshwater fish.

They have been bred in captivity, but not very often and you would need a very deep tank and perfect water. They spawn in caves and the male guards the eggs.
Fry begin to eat each other as soon as they hatch.

How big is an adult? The one at my lfs is only like 2 inches without the tail.... how do you sex them?

betta_lova said:
How big is an adult?
Please read my original post again, this is the second question that you've asked that has already been answered!

There is no way to sex this species just by looking at them.

I would suggest you re-read SirMinion's posts before you ask questions.

P.T.

EDIT: reread my post, seemed a little harsh, so i edited it

betta_lova said:
Oh Sorry! How big are juveniles usually? Would like a 2 inch one count as a baby?
Sir has just left for work, so I'll answer your post. :D

2" is quite small - ours are slightly bigger than that. They are not necessarily juveniles though as these puffers are quite slow-growing.

btw, that's Smaug in my avatar.

We ahve successfully got our 2 ( which are kept seperate) to eat cockle, mussel and whelk by using the `v` end of a planting stick by tapping the food to make it look like it is moving.
Unfortunately, if we don`t feed one by a certain time she tends to puff up, she is now reliant on us and the stick!
Obviously Sir and Lady Minion keep theirs together, ours are 5" and 7" and nearly killed eachother when they were together, they are each in a 240 litre tank.
All the other stuff we know has already been covered by the Minions!
Clare

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back