The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

MBOU

Recovering LFS Worker
Global Moderator ⚒️
Reaction score
Just thought I would share this! :)

Went back to a store I used to work at about 5 years ago and it is looking so much better since I worked there... except their marines... they seriously need more people who know their marines but their stocking was good.

Was chatting to a member of staff and he laughed at my excitement when out from under a curved rock of zoas rolled a clump of jelly... and right after it a gorgeous purple dottyback! Will need to check my ID on it, it might have been an Orchid Dottyback but cant remember without looking again, all I know is that it was labelled up as 'Pygmy Basslet Pair - £109'...

The one that was clearly female then came rolling round the rock of zoas and pushed the eggs back into the hole by which point the male had pushed them back out and was whirling round and round and round them, twining his body round them and then he pushed them back into the cave and sat glaring at me.

Just thought I would share that... have never seen Dottybacks with eggs and certainly not on a shop system with staff that didn't even realise they were eggs and certainly weren't enthused about it!

I just stood there gawping! Did snap a few photos which I will upload later :)

That's awesome and a great sign for the shop.

I can't imagine them not being excited about it.

My orchid and my purple dotty are from a local breeder here and I got to go visit the operation and see. It's so fun to see egg, then larvae, then fish.

Always wanted to breed marines since my Sailfin Blenny disaster.... *sob*

I don't know much about breeding dottybacks but thought I remembered something about someone 'hand rearing' the eggs in a tumbler to keep them moving? Something like that...

Would make sense as it looked like the male was moving the eggs about just for the sake of rolling them

This guy just had 5 gallon buckets he set up to swirl. Same idea, keep them rolling, but on the cheap.

I would say breeding clowns is the place to start, or pygmy seahorses, but they're live bearers so I'm not sure that's what you are after.

Clowns are easier to get paired, breed readily, and there's soooo much information on it that you can always find the help you need. But you will need the algae, rotifers, baby brine, etc. to feed them at each stage of life. It's a noble goal but one I won't get into due to the time and space requirements. I admire those who do it though for sure. It's magical to see.

Clowns do nothing for me... really don't like them very much as marines go... if I *had* to like any clowns.. it would be orange skunk clowns but...meh...

Seahorses are a definite one day!! Not pygmies though... too small and fiddly and do better in bare tanks... would love a pair of H. barbouri (zebrasnouts) as they seem one of the 'easier' species, don't get too big and are available around here occasionally.. not that I've been looking...

I kept brackish pipefish and have kept both Kuda and Reidii seahorses, though never to breed...

But I think Blennies and Dottybacks are fascinating!

Bah... the photos are terrible, my phone just cant cope with the actinic lighting they had over the zoas, makes it hard to see the dottyback! lol

1- Right in the middle is the Dottybacks head sticking out cave with eggs in front (he was trying to drag them back in)
IMG_1943400x300_zpsff03cb93.jpg

2- Coming out of cave to glare frustratedly at the eggs
IMG_1944400x300_zpsa36a7ac7.jpg

3- Eggs escaped him again :)
IMG_1945400x300_zps8d7ece8c.jpg

Seems a lovely breeding pair of Tank Bred Orchid Dottybacks! £109 is actually a really good price... last pair I saw hated each other to heck and were up for £140!

Orange skunks are nice looking...but they bite. I couldn't wait to find them a new home. :)

I find the blenny I love eat my LPS. But I do think they are great fish.
Great photos. Would the let you rear them?

I haven't a tank Chad *sob* not a one!! Not allowed
sad.png
25 y/o or 5 im not sure sometimes!

Not even a little 20 liter one?

Not even a 7 Liter spec!! :(

I feel for you, I really do. Fish are very therapeutic and I would miss them if I didn't have them. They work to distract, decompress, meditate, ponder, work, cheer up, relax, and a host of other beneficial things for the human mind and soul. I'll come give them a piece of my mind if you want. :)

You really should!! :D

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back