Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Doing it all again

Discussion in 'Welcome: Introduce Yourself & Learn More About TFF' started by swansong, May 17, 2019.

1. swansong

swansong New Member

Good evening :)

I am returning to fishkeeping after several years away and as of yesterday, May 16, I am the owner of a 74 litre Ciano 80 LED aquarium. The aquarium came as a kit with LED hood light, 100w heater and CF80 filter. I also bought a Marina 75 airpump to run Aquael Airlights. The aquarium has the usual sand, gravel, plants and something for the fish to amuse themselves chasing around and through :)

The aquarium is currently on a fishless cycle assisted by filter bacteria kickstart & aquasafe additives.

In two weeks time I shall be sorting the fish...

6 each of the following : Neon Tetra, Black Neon Tetra, Harlequin Rasbora & Cardinal Tetra

1 Crown Tail or Dumbo Fighter

1 Bristlenose Pleco

Looking out for basic advice, opinions and just to learn new tricks since things have changed since I last had fish.

2. PheonixKingZ

PheonixKingZ Fish Crazy

Do you mean a crowntail or dumbo ear betta? (It’s called many tings, just making shure! ;))

I would say try it. In my experience, dumbo ear bettas aren’t as aggressive as other types, so I would go with a DE. :)

The stocking list sounds fine, but don’t put all of them in at once!! Out a couple in, and then separate if it gets nasty. For community tanks with betta fish, I like to put the new fin in a breeder box or plastic see-through cup, and see if the betta try’s to peck at any of the other fish, before I release them into the tank.

The pleco will be fine. They have hard body’s, and armored shells, it won’t be a problem. :)

3. trash.binh91

trash.binh91 Fish Fanatic

Umm...that's overstocked. First of all, a BN pleco CAN live in a 76l, but that's really pushing it. I'd go with a clown pleco instead. Having more that one school in a small tank is detrimental to the schooling fish because it is stressful, and that's too many fish to have them all.

I'd go with:

8 of either: Neon Tetra, Black Neon Tetra or Cardinal Tetra

OR

6 Harlequin Rasboras

Along with

1 Betta
    1 Clown Pleco