Doin the do

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
IMG_20201005_195422.jpg
Current state of this tank now. Think I'll end up just swerving the hair grass.. really can't be bothered planting another 2 pots of the stuff lol
Power head added on the left to increase flow as I need to give hoses from the main cannister a good clean. And my wave maker gave up the ghost.
Think I'll go for growing another vallis jungle with whats left over from moving stuff over to the 63 gallon

Current state of this tank now. Think I'll end up just swerving the hair grass.. really can't be bothered planting another 2 pots of the stuff lol
Power head added on the left to increase flow as I need to give hoses from the main cannister a good clean. And my wave maker gave up the ghost.
Think I'll go for growing another vallis jungle with whats left over from moving stuff over to the 63 gallon
Looks amazing! The plants look really healthy, are you pleased with what you got? Is that some hairgrass planted in the bottom right at the front already? Hope you change your mind and plant the rest, it looks lovely!

Looks amazing! The plants look really healthy, are you pleased with what you got? Is that some hairgrass planted in the bottom right at the front already? Hope you change your mind and plant the rest, it looks lovely!
Oops thought I was in my other thread! Ah well. Yeh very pleased with the plants, just wish I had some decent wood. Some spindly twigs could be added over time I spose. Just not sure with the grass, it doesn't grow amazingly well. Not even sure its strictly a submergible plant :huh:

Oops thought I was in my other thread! Ah well. Yeh very pleased with the plants, just wish I had some decent wood. Some spindly twigs could be added over time I spose. Just not sure with the grass, it doesn't grow amazingly well. Not even sure its strictly a submergible plant :huh:
Spindly wood can work too, just depends how it looks and how you arrange them. I really liked how this small, simple wood piece looked in my old tank before I tore it down. Still have it ready to use sometime
DSCF0837.JPG

Tank looks great, you could always add a few larger rocks instead of wood.

Good goin'!
What do they eat?
Early on, I used @itiwhetu 's method of feeding egg yolk. It just so happens that my son loves boiled egg, but only the white haha, so I'm often left with a spare yolk!
Put the egg yolk in some muslin cloth, moisten with the tank water and squeeze it through so it makes the water cloudy.
Now they're bigger, I've been feeding them Hikari First Bites and Ocean Nutrition Instant Baby Brine Shrimp.

It sounds like the 4 are well on their way !
I was asking because cory eat from the bottom, right? I didn't know if the food just goes to the bottom or if the eat it higher up in the water, too? You have bigger ones, though, right? Peppered?

Im planning to get some pygmy, found out yesterday that my LFS ordered and is supposed to get coryadora pygmaeus in tomorrow :yahoo:
I'm worried about doing sand, but while they are in QT I'll have plenty of time to stress over all that.

Squirt, my rainbow fry, got started on frozen daphnia two days ago. I fed it Hikari first Bites before that. And I found him as a wee fry so didn't do the egg yolk.

None of my four eggs made it :-(
I'm pretty sure Squirt will as he/she recognized the daphnia rather than just swimming into it!
Goooo, Squirt !

Cories pretty much feed from the bottom, yeh. Their filter-feeding routine works much better with finer grain sand such as play sand. When people recommend sand for cories, it should be stuff that is as fine grain as play sand or dont bother IMO. With the heavier grain, they don't perform the same method of filtering the sand through the mouth and out of the their gills. Its still better for their barbels, but if you're sorting out substrate explicitly for cories then go fine grain.
I've actually got them in a breeder box a the top of the parent tank just because I didn't have a spare heater to keep them seperate. The setup seems to be working ok. They get their feed of fry food, and any excess is sort of sucked through the mesh by the parents on the other side lol

Thats a shame about the other eggs, were they just not fertile? I see pics and vids all the time of corys that have spawned hundreds of eggs! Mine lay about 6 at the most throughout the day when theyre at it. So far I'd say its about 50/50 for how many end up hatching.

Very cute to have the one spoiled fry though, I wish him/her well x

Cories pretty much feed from the bottom, yeh. Their filter-feeding routine works much better with finer grain sand such as play sand. When people recommend sand for cories, it should be stuff that is as fine grain as play sand or dont bother IMO. With the heavier grain, they don't perform the same method of filtering the sand through the mouth and out of the their gills. Its still better for their barbels, but if you're sorting out substrate explicitly for cories then go fine grain.
I've actually got them in a breeder box a the top of the parent tank just because I didn't have a spare heater to keep them seperate. The setup seems to be working ok. They get their feed of fry food, and any excess is sort of sucked through the mesh by the parents on the other side lol

Thats a shame about the other eggs, were they just not fertile? I see pics and vids all the time of corys that have spawned hundreds of eggs! Mine lay about 6 at the most throughout the day when theyre at it. So far I'd say its about 50/50 for how many end up hatching.

Very cute to have the one spoiled fry though, I wish him/her well x
Well, I just don't know what happened to the eggs. Maybe because they were attached to plants? Just not sure if Rainbow eggs can just be in a breeder box because they are tiney and stay attached to the plant by a thin strand and kind of hang on. I hate to pull it off. Might be insufficient water flow in there? I would never use one of those boxes for my fish, btw. Seems a really stressful environment and who else thinks that plastic would hurt them?

I don't know, BUT I did find 4 teensy weensy fry in the main tank when I moved some floating plants and moved them into the breeder box but they got out of the slats in the box. At that time I also moved the shrimp out just in case, pretty sure...they would enjoy the eggs.

Yesterday I found another in the plants when I did a water change but left it for now. My plan is to get a cup and next time I see a teensy fry I will put it in as close to where I am seeing the fry, near the moving water in the main tank.

I just got some clear plastic cups but now I am worried if they are the right kind?
Does it HAVE to be a solo brand cup? It looks just like one...

I hope the c. pygmaeus come in to the fish store and are healthy. I'll watch them there for a while and then take them home for more QT.

Okay, just blabbering on now.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back