Dog question 9with a sad start)

I have to vote for the rottweiler, or a rottweiler mix. I've had german shepherds, mixes, border collie / gsd mix, dobies and mixes, and a shar pei. I've had a couple of rottweiler mixes. I have a 6 year old rottie mix now I got as a pup, the only dog I have now that isn't a senior. Smart but not too smart, big babies, stick right by you, afraid of the cat, or not afraid of the cat but a lower prey drive than shepherds and dobies. I loved my border collies but they all seemed to be obsessed and fearful about something, and they are smarter than many people which has its ups and downs, combined with that fear. They don't listen when the fear kicks in.
I didn't get a rottweiler til all the kids were grown and when all my current seniors have passed, I will get another one to keep wulfwarro company. his mama was a rottie. I think dad was gsd and hound. He was destined for a shelter at 3 months when I got him.

Attachments

• 20231116_150859.jpg
    20231116_150859.jpg
    153.8 KB · Views: 6
I always remember the guy who first put those two breeds together (labrador and poodle) say that he regrets the day he mixed those breeds. https://www.usatoday.com/story/news...odle-regrets-frankenstein-monster/3772586002/
I could go on and on about why the "doodle craze" is spinning out of control. (SKIP DOWN TO NEXT BOLDED PART TO AVOID RANT)

While a good 10-20 years ago (heck, even in the 1950s) it was perfectly fine because there WAS some of that hybrid-vigor, now people will simply keep their dogs unaltered in attempts to breed them and make money. Most of the breeders online are either a) scammers, b) keep their dogs in absolutely horrible conditions, or (the most common) c) don't list the cons of a doodle. For the most part, they aren't completely hypoallergenic, and many people aren't prepared for their energy levels or grooming needs. They are sold on the fact that it's a cute looking dog that doesn't have the "prissiness" of a Poodle, but instead is the everyman's Golden Retriever in a non-shedding package.

My issue with that is that most of these breeders are using F1 (first generation--a Poodle crossed to another breed vs breeding a mix to a mix), meaning that you don't have a true picture of what your dog will look like. It's a grab bag--yes, you could have a curly-haired, low-allergen dog that needs extra TLC in the grooming department, or you could get what looks like the love child between a Wolfhound and an Irish Terrier that sheds like crazy (my neighbor's goldendoodle, Meli--the absolute sweetest, but my lord she looks funky). If you really want a random, "Let's see what we get!" dog, then just go to the shelter!

My other issue is the whole "cute" factor. If you want a shaggy/fluffy dog, please make an attempt to take care of it. While I understand that time and lack of experience are a factor, it's always possible to either a) keep your dog short (that's what we do with our Standard Poodle in the wintertime--I'm always at show choir or speech, so I never have the time to brush him), or b) learn how to properly brush. When we first got Koda (the Spoo in question), 12yo me had absolutely no idea as to what line brushing was. I would simply brush the crap out of him like our other pets, and then be left confused when he came back completely shaved from the groomer due to matting. However, I asked her what I wasn't doing right, and she showed me the proper tools and technique needed to keep him relatively mat-free. Fast forward 4 years, and I can groom him myself. I'm just saying, if a child can do it, surely you can too.

There are plenty of purebred dogs with stable temperaments (I'm not saying that they're not energetic--any active breed can become hyperactive without proper exercise. I'm talking more about nervousness and aggression) that have the classic "doodle" traits: low-allergen, active, loving, and family-friendly. Portuguese Water Dogs, Lagotti Romagnoli, Barbets, and yes, even Poodles are great alternatives. As long as you have the time to groom, you not only get an attractive dog but a valued companion for all aspects of life. (END OF RANT)

But no, I will say that not all are horrible. I have quite a few neighbors who have them, as well as friends and family. As long as they are raised right (experienced owner or dedicated beginner--sound familiar, fish keepers?), exercised, and well-taken care of, they really can be joys to own.

you really haven't given much info about how your dog would live... if you are looking for an outside only dog, or someone to share the couch with, IMO, are usually 2 completely different dogs... I won't personally have a shedding dog in the house... but my best "farm" dog, out of many, was a Norwegian Elk Hound, we got from the local shelter... He loved winter, & would be out rolling around in the snow banks at -40 degrees, & he would shed "blanket chunks" of an under coat in the spring ( a lot easier to deal with than all those loose hairs ) & had a fine thin outer coat during the summer... if you want an in & out dog... I'd go for something non shedding... standard poodles are great in this aspect, as well are the poodle crosses that are also hypo allergenic, & non shedding like labradoodles... if in the house is more important than outside... there are lots of smaller dogs, in base, or crosses in Bichons, & Poodles, that most are also hypoallergenic & don't shed... I personally also love New Foundlands, & we had inherited an old Rottweiler, that was an awesome dog, but a shedder, & not a lot of coat for cold winters, but with you being on the coast, I assume you don't see the brutal cold we get here in Minnesota??? you said you aren't a small dog fan, but they can be very personable, & several aren't the yappy kind... our little Shiatzu-bichon cross, was bought as a runt, & he has become my little buddy, & wormed his way into my heart, more than our previous house dogs...

we've also had German Sheppard crosses several times, twice with collie cross, & once with yellow lab cross... the lab cross stays home, without being chained, & won't bite a human, but kills anything wild that comes in the yard, & would kill our sheep, if he could get into the pastures... this ( picture below ) is our 2nd best, & the debate is out there, he may have been the best outside dog... one of our German Sheppard Collie crosses...

I've had bad experiences personally with St. Bernard's, & Great Pyrenees, which is too bad, Mrs. family used to breed St Bernard's, & she loves them... the neighbor raises sheep, & his Great Pyrenees, bite anyone, chase cars, etc. yep they protect sheep, but... not social at all... I'm sure there are good St. Bernard's & Great Pyrenees, just depends on how they are raised... just like there must be a good chauwauwa some where... er well maybe not...
Haha, same here. I've only met Great Pyrs who were used as farm dogs/livestock guardians, which I feel is a whole other world--kind of like comparing indoor cats to outdoor cats.
Funnily enough, I have met the sweetest (albeit a tad needy) elderly little longhair Chihuahua that my neighbor rescued. Little dogs (just like big dogs) seem to really depend on breed. Shih Tzus and Cavalier King Charles Spaniels seem to be some of the sweetest, calmest little dogs, whilst then you have Bichon Frises and Pugs, your clowns, and the ratting terriers (which happens to include Yorkies) who, although they have all the courage and pluck in the world, love to tell the world about it...by yapping.

Just a thought as an alternative doggy....

A retired Greyhound. They are absolutely wonderful dogs...true couch potatoes, extremely loyal and fun to be around. There are rescue organisations who specifically handle Greyhounds, they make brilliant pets, even those who have raced in the past are all about the cuddles and a slow lane life.

There are some awesome Greyhounds looking for new forever homes
That may make a great choice! While I'm not sure how common retired Greys are in North America (I know that's big in the UK, but I don't think it is as much in the US and Canada), they are amazing dogs.

An interesting thing about poodle grooming... The practice of having groomed to where most of the fur is shour except for around the joints is due to their being also water retrievers. The heavier fur around the joints is for insulation against cold water while most of their fur being close groomed is to avoid resistance while in water. At least that is what I've read...
That's true! Similar to how Poodles are groomed, PWDs are another breed that ended up with a trim to assist in water work.

I love Goldens but as I lost one to cancer a few years ago, I would not go back to them. The cancer rates are just too high. I like Labs also but when they are young, they are too hyper. My tastes run to more medium sizes now. Heelers are good. Never had one but I would like a Shiba Inu someday. I also like smaller dogs that have more big dog personalities like Corgis and Schipperkes. My favorite dog that I curently have is a Huskie mix.

If you want an easy going dog you should not get an Australian Shepherd. Our latest dog is one and though he is very sweet and very capable puppy he has been the most challenging puppy of the breeds we have had (borzoi, shelties, poodles, and goldens). Ours, don't really know how representative of the breed he is, is very demanding for time and attention, is super tough but also super sensitive, I have had to change my training methods I use with him. He is extremely strong willed and once focused on a behavior it is very difficult to get him to not focus on that behavior. In particular as he is a herding dog he herds both my wife and I incessantly. If you want an easier dog would not recommend something from the working herding group, ie Border collies, Australian Shepherd, Australian Cattle dogs, etc. Ours has some lovely qualities, he is very smart, very athletic, stays with us on hikes (no leads in wilderness walks), but with that comes walking at least 3 km a day, constant play and training when at home, and a dog that is always asking to be the center of attention. We are having to change our door knobs because our puppy has learned how to open doors with the lever type handles. I feel we have been lucky because so far he hasn't shown destructive behaviors when frustrated.

That may make a great choice! While I'm not sure how common retired Greys are in North America (I know that's big in the UK, but I don't think it is as much in the US and Canada), they are amazing dogs.
There are.definitely rescued greyhounds in Texas, I'm sure we aren't the only state with them. There are proper greyhound rescues on the internet

6 years ago I told a friend on a fish forum I might want some advice if I were to get my first dog since I was a kid. She happened to work with shelters, and a few months later, told me she had found the perfect dog for me. I found myself living with a traumatized, fearful and very damaged 9 year old English Cream golden retriever. My dog passed away last week, just short of 15, after developing into the finest canine companion a person could ever wish for.

I've learned I'm a dog person, and I know I will be seeking a new dog by late summer. I am not into breeds except I know their breeding gives valuable info. So as I search again in a few months, are there types of dogs you can present arguments in favour of?

I am looking for a dog over 40 pounds, up to 80 or so, mid sized to large. I will be 65 when this next adventure starts. I live on a 1.8 acre lot, so I have room, but I am not as athletic as I once was, dog chasing wise. I am going to look for a rescue, not a puppy, and the breed idea is a general guideline for a probable mutt. I don't think I could handle another older dog, so an active dog would be in the cards.

I don't hunt, except for my glasses.

I am looking for leads on easy going dog breeds. Since I was dogless from 17 til I was in my later fifties, I haven't got a lot of dog breed knowledge. If you do, and have some ideas, I am listening. I have time to do follow up research.
I love dogs, raised with dogs. Trained a few dogs. Later in life had a wolf mix shepard, I trained her so well, police officers wanted to take her into K9 Academy. I was caught because I commanded her to wait outside as I went into a supermarket. When I came out with a drink a her treat, these cops hovered over her.

Animal shelter dogs and all the critters tend to be scared out of their mind. Understandably, they cannot comprehend the change that just happened to them. We've adopted pet rats. One of the rats we got took three months to come out of fear mode.

Do you have access to an animal shelter? Can you spend time with specific dogs, on a regular basis, hang out with one or more, to test their behaviour? Or, will foster care a dog be an option, that could lead to an adoption?

As far as breeds, I don't know. Sometimes a bred unexpecately matches, totally out of the blue.

I hope this helped.

In case you were wondering what dogs I was raised with, been around with the most, Chihuahua's, German Shephards, and Bouvier des Fandres. My parents bred Chihuahua's. I thought I'll be done with Chihuahua's, however, they flood shelters, (as well as Shepard's), and the prolific thing I noticed about Chihuahua's, they are willing to reinvent themselves when given a new family, new home, new out come in a new envirnoment quite quickly! And Chihuahua's are very loyal, loving, and oddly as this sounds, protectant in a 5-9 pound body.

German Shepard's, as you probably know, need the motivation and discipline of action to keep up with their busy minds. It's like becoming a helicopter parent.

Bouvier's, well, that was like an experience with wild animals for me. I don't want to be around that bred again! They are difficult! A lion in a dog's body I say.

Lastly, I love mutts. Most folks I know have or had a mutt. Seems there is little issue with these dogs.

I'm sorry you lost your friend of 15 years, I know that hurts. Your grief is understood.

Hope you find a new friend soon.
:)

I love mutts too! and 3 of my 4 dogs came from shelters, 2 were on death row and met half an hour before the needle. They adapted, I adapted, they are loyal and still here, my senior pack. Would not trade any. Well except Teddy but he's special and the grandkids adore him

If you want an easy going dog you should not get an Australian Shepherd. Our latest dog is one and though he is very sweet and very capable puppy he has been the most challenging puppy of the breeds we have had (borzoi, shelties, poodles, and goldens). Ours, don't really know how representative of the breed he is, is very demanding for time and attention, is super tough but also super sensitive, I have had to change my training methods I use with him. He is extremely strong willed and once focused on a behavior it is very difficult to get him to not focus on that behavior. In particular as he is a herding dog he herds both my wife and I incessantly. If you want an easier dog would not recommend something from the working herding group, ie Border collies, Australian Shepherd, Australian Cattle dogs, etc. Ours has some lovely qualities, he is very smart, very athletic, stays with us on hikes (no leads in wilderness walks), but with that comes walking at least 3 km a day, constant play and training when at home, and a dog that is always asking to be the center of attention. We are having to change our door knobs because our puppy has learned how to open doors with the lever type handles. I feel we have been lucky because so far he hasn't shown destructive behaviors when frustrated.
Our oldest dog is an Aussie/Sheltie mix--while he's quite mellow at 15 years old, it still took him over a decade to get there. Incessant herding, frequent barking (be it to let us know that the cat's on the countertop, or that the neighbor kid walked past our house), constant neediness, and the sheer power of the anxiety...as Uberhoust says above, once they fixate on it, there's no turning back. Herding breeds are amazing, but only if you have the time and emotional energy to give them the attention (and job) they need.

I have a 10 year old that is 25% Aussie cattle dog, 12.5% Aussie shepherd, 25% Great Pyr. and a lot of little breeds. first dog I ever had dna run on because he was a nut job. Had him 9 years, he's still a nut job but not quite as needy as when younger. I will never have another heeler or aussie cattle dog and I'm skipping the aussie shepherds too. Give me a rottie, big lap dog, lays around more

I have a 10 year old that is 25% Aussie cattle dog, 12.5% Aussie shepherd, 25% Great Pyr. and a lot of little breeds. first dog I ever had dna run on because he was a nut job. Had him 9 years, he's still a nut job but not quite as needy as when younger. I will never have another heeler or aussie cattle dog and I'm skipping the aussie shepherds too. Give me a rottie, big lap dog, lays around more
I've never actually been able to hang around any rotties long enough to get a good feel for them. I'm assuming that they'd be more like a Mastiff where they just kind of lay around and keep watch over you and the homestead, but I really don't know.

That also reminds me: @GaryE what is your position on drool and shedding? I know you said no oily coats, preferably a large(r) dog, and one that isn't a master at escape/big on wandering. That probably rules out:
  • a good chunk of retrievers (most have the oily coat to repel water)
  • most "small" dogs (so nay to the Toy group and a decent number of terrier breeds)
  • most hounds, basically all terriers, and huskies--terriers and sighthounds have an extremely high prey-drive and scent hounds tend to follow their nose over a frantic command warning them of a road. Huskies are probably the best well known for their escape tendencies, but just about any stubborn, athletic breed can manage to find a way out of a 6-footer.

I had a stray rottie adopt me but had to find her a home, or felt safer doing so, because I had a toddler at the time. I got an 18 month old rottie /bernese mix off death row at the pound 20 years later, he had perfect manners with other dogs and I had always wanted one. I had him til he died at 10. Smart. Raised leg in house once, I smacked leg and said out back he never did it again. Crate trained. Loved to be a lap dog, but would go in the back yard with my mixed pack when I went to work. Gave me some sass 2nd or 3rd time I went to work so I left him crated all day, never gave me sass again. Sneaky, wait til I take a nap and gently climb up on the sofa with me. He was my heart dog. Although wulfie, my current rottie mix, is not a bad dog. he gives very little sass and is pretty obedient and just wants to sit on my foot when greeting strangers.

The thread is a year old, and my dog will be a year old tomorrow.

I have discovered the shelters in my corner of the world are empty, except for pit bulls, and even they're rare. I couldn't find mutt or a rescue, but I did find another white golden, and she's perfect.

Almost all the rescues around here are trucked in from Texas, and I find the whole business very sketchy.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back