Dog Dilemma

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

CrazyDiamond88

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
I have a gorgeous 4 year old staffy girl.

She is wonderful with people; she'd never hurt anyone.

Problem is, given her fighting instinct, she can be aggressive with other dogs. So I've stopped letting her off the leash.

The thing is, now it makes me so anxious to walk her even when she is on the leash. I worry a loose dog will run up to her and they'll start fighting.

I just have stopped walking her because it makes me so anxious.

Someone suggested I muzzle her when walking her.

I don't really see any other solution, unless you folk have any ideas?

She needs to get outside & be walked or her aggression will just get worse, get a muzzle for her so you can take her out safely.
Try not to be so anxious as she will pick up on that & be anxious too

+1 on op

If you buy a basket muzzle, she can also have a drink when it gets hot.

Try to relax, else these vibes will just travel down the lead, if she can feel you are worried, she will therefore take it that you are telling her walks are an anxious time and to be wary of everything. Plus she will be 'protecting' you.

IF loose dogs come up to her, it is totally not your problem, the owners should have a decent recall on their pets to warrant the freedom.

To not exercise her because of this, is totally not fair to her and she could start repetitive behavioural issues such as paw licking and making sores etc.

Have you considered contacting a behaviourist?

My Lucy did the same thing on walks with larger dogs she would encounter. And as stated she would sense my nervousness and that would get her going even worst. Took almost a year but we both worked it out. I also keep a bag of bacon in my pocket to re-focus her attention when we are out and about.

Is she neutered? are her fights with other females or males too? does she pick on a certain size or any dog she encounters?

Thank you for the answers, I really appreciate it. You see, I have bottled this up for so long, because it makes me so anxious. So it's a huge relief to be able to talk about it.

She is neutered. I cannot remember if the fights were with females or males. But she had two bad fights. Both were when she was off the lead and a dog came running towards me.
So I think she was trying to protect me.

So I think she was trying to protect me.

I think that's the reason. And on top of it when the owner pulls the lead back once they see another dog in fear they may fight, the dog just starts thinking that their owner hates any other dogs and it's their responsibility to take care of the problem.
Imagine what the dog is thinking...."oh I hate other dogs and my owner hates them too because she pulls away when we see one. I need to do something about it...." :)
You probably have to work on authority and obedience first and then learn how to send the right signals to the dog so it understands dogs are not a threat to either you or him/her.

Shelster said:
+1 on op

Try to relax, else these vibes will just travel down the lead, if she can feel you are worried, she will therefore take it that you are telling her walks are an anxious time and to be wary of everything. Plus she will be 'protecting' you.

IF loose dogs come up to her, it is totally not your problem, the owners should have a decent recall on their pets to warrant the freedom.

To not exercise her because of this, is totally not fair to her and she could start repetitive behavioural issues such as paw licking and making sores etc.

Can you explain more about the paw licking? My dog does it so now I'm concerned, I thought he was just cleaning his paws.
Diamond, I wish you luck on resolving this issue~

Ninjouzata said:
+1 on op
Can you explain more about the paw licking? My dog does it so now I'm concerned, I thought he was just cleaning his paws.
Diamond, I wish you luck on resolving this issue~
Some dogs can do this as a boredom breaker, how long has your dog been doing this?

Could be due to a number of things if only recent behaviour - such as grass seed or other foreign body, harvest mites, interdigital cyst - I could go on...... OR if more of a chronic behaviour - boredom.

There are a number of things you can try to resolve this, however I do recommend you get it checked out by a vet first so they can determine the route of the cause. (I don't want to make suggestions to prevent if something has worked it's way into the paw, or if there is a cut or lump visible that needs veterinary attention.)

Can you see any obvious irritation either between the digits, or on the underside of the foot between the pads and webbing? Has the dog made it sore? Does he/she resent it being handled (please don't push this issue if your pet is unpredictable)

There is a bitter spray which can be used in such cases providing no medical reason why pet is doing this in the first place.

The other option is distraction - whenever you see your pet about to start this 'behaviour' distract with a toy to initiate play, encourage them to turn their attention to a raw hide chew or kong stuffed with something tasty.

I would strongly recommend a vet visit before any of my info is carried out, as its hard to advise over the Internet having not seen the pets behaviour. If the behaviour does continue, they could cause what is known as a lick granuloma where the skin becomes thickened and just constantly feels sore and irritated.

Good luck.

Looks like Shelster is on top of these issues. These are exactly the sort of things I would say too.

I have been working with and around dogs pretty much my entire life! I would advise to use your common sense and go to the vet, behaviourists, trainers (all should have a good reputation by the way, i.e kennel club registered, recognised certificated etc) and seek advice from everyone and come to your conclusions what is best for you AND for your dog.

Don't worry, there are a LOT of things you can do to improve unwanted behaviour in dogs, although this does often mean owners/handlers sometimes have to change THEIR behaviour as well.

Most of all, relax, dogs are extremely good at picking up tension/nervousness/anxiousness so the more relaxed and at ease you are, the more your dog will be at ease as well.

Good Luck!

Sorry if I took away from the OP with my question but figured asking it might help her and others who read it if they have that issue. My dog has been licking his paws for as long as I can remember, there are no sores or anything there, he gladly gives me his paw (too gladly sometimes..) and I can put my finger in between his toes and whatnot, he doesn't mind and isn't hurt by it that I can tell, and normally if something were to hurt him, he would let you know :p Can't afford to go to the vet unless there is something very wrong, like if he were injured, but boredom is probably right on. I will work on giving him more of my attention. Thank you :)

I just wanted to give a quick update.

I put a basket muzzle on Billie today and walked her.

It was wonderful!!!

We went to the park and dogs came up and said hello, she was tense at first but seemed to get better.

On the second half of the walk, I talk her off the leash, and she walked home off the leash, stayed a few metres in front of me at all times. She was brilliant! :)

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back