Does sponge need bubble to stay active in tank?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

RowdyBub50

Reaction score
I recently completed fishless cycle, now have 1 juvenile oscar in there (75g tank). I've got a canister and sponge. I want to unplug the sponge but leave it in the tank. Will the bacteria stay alive w/o a bubbler connected or will it die off?

This is aside from the bio load which I know is much less now then when adding ammonia. Just want to know if anyone thinks bacteria would die if no water being drawn thru it.

thanks

It will stay alive for awhile but the bacteria does need oxygen to survive

OK great thank you! Really trying no to jack up this tank.

As long as there is some water movement. It does need oxygen - but you have this in the water.
If you want to keep it as a spare for quarantine tanks or emergencies you could put it inside the canister. Another alternative is to use it as the intake for your canister.

As long as there is some water movement. It does need oxygen - but you have this in the water.
If you want to keep it as a spare for quarantine tanks or emergencies you could put it inside the canister. Another alternative is to use it as the intake for your canister.
@seangee brought out a good point. What is your reason for wanting to keep it in the tank? If it’s to keep as a spare, you can just leave the sponges in the canister and take out the rest of it. The sponges will be ready to plop into a new tank when needed and will continue to leave extra bb in your canister.

I wanted to use both sponges, I only had a bubbler with one port :). No worries I went out today and got one with 2 ports. Now have 2 sponges for bio and aeration along with canister.

thanks guys.
Sounds good. No problem! :fish:

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back