Does My Dwarf Gourami Need A Friend

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

spud13

Reaction score
hi, i have one dwarf male gourami and all he does is play with the bubbles from my air pump, he seems quiet happy doing the same swimming routine of in and out the bubbles but he must be bored.
should i get him a female friend or 2 or another male? or would they fight?
its just ive heard they can be aggresive towards the female
any suggestion
thanks

Keep him alone. Like most male gouramies, dwarf males are territorial. They do not do well in pairs (or, rather, the female doesn't!) and keeping two males is usually asking for trouble. To keep more than one female with him would require a decent-sized tank (how big is yours?) but could work in a well-planted tank though he's likely to be aggressive towards the newcomers.

Gouramies are not humans. Being territorial animals, they almost certainly do not crave company and don't get 'lonely'. You don't need to worry about keeping him alone.

Keep him alone. Like most male gouramies, dwarf males are territorial. They do not do well in pairs (or, rather, the female doesn't!) and keeping two males is usually asking for trouble. To keep more than one female with him would require a decent-sized tank (how big is yours?) but could work in a well-planted tank though he's likely to be aggressive towards the newcomers.

Gouramies are not humans. Being territorial animals, they almost certainly do not crave company and don't get 'lonely'. You don't need to worry about keeping him alone.
I was planning on getting one and always wondered the same thing...thanks sylvia! :good:

Drew

I was planning on getting one and always wondered the same thing...thanks sylvia! :good:

Drew

thanks i will leave him to play with his bubbles alone

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back