does columnaris have to be introduced?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Irksome

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Hello. I was asking earlier about red fin rot. It was a small patch this afternoon and now it is much worse. Half his tail is down to the rays in the space of a few hours. I suspect a bacterial infection. He was quite badly injured and nothing new has been added to the tank, could it be columnaris? I’m not going to be able to get antibiotics tomorrow.

Attachments

• D16CC5CD-A1C3-474B-936C-609B5266197C.jpeg
    D16CC5CD-A1C3-474B-936C-609B5266197C.jpeg
    569.3 KB · Views: 145
  • 732A62C0-4DD3-436D-A18F-F350A005F600.jpeg
    732A62C0-4DD3-436D-A18F-F350A005F600.jpeg
    312.6 KB · Views: 144
It looks similar to the columnaris I have in my tank right now. Other members have recommended Kanamycin+Furan-2 to treat columnaris. I am using Maracyn-2 right now because that was what I had already ordered but next time I will definitely use the kanamycin combo.
P.S. If you have a hospital tank, it is a good idea to use it.
Hope your fish survives! :)

It looks similar to the columnaris I have in my tank right now. Other members have recommended Kanamycin+Furan-2 to treat columnaris. I am using Maracyn-2 right now because that was what I had already ordered but next time I will definitely use the kanamycin combo.
P.S. If you have a hospital tank, it is a good idea to use it.
Hope your fish survives! :)
Thanks for the reply. Poor fish didn’t survive the night, its amazing and a bit scary that yesterday morning his whole fin was there and by this morning it was stripped down to nothing. There is only two fish left in that tank now, so I’m hoping the low stocking density will protect them.

Sorry about your fish. That is exactly what happened to mine. I think you should treat the tank anyway but more experienced members would know. @Colin_T @Byron

The issue with the fish in the photo does not look like columnaris to me. There are several bacterial issues. Someone who knows what this is may be able to suggest treatments, but that is not me.

The issue with the fish in the photo does not look like columnaris to me. There are several bacterial issues. Someone who knows what this is may be able to suggest treatments, but that is not me.
Thanks for taking a look anyway.

Most reactions

Back