Does changing the arrangement of plants/rocks/etc. in a tank cause stress on your fish?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

PewPewChris

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
If you are doing a water change, making the parameters perfect for your fish friends...and you decide to change the look of the scape a little ever month or two...does it stress the fish?

If you are doing a water change, making the parameters perfect for your fish friends...and you decide to change the look of the scape a little ever month or two...does it stress the fish?
It will stress them a bit, yes. But after a few days to a week they will usually calm down and start getting used to the new layout from what I've experienced

I often change around driftwood when I do a thorough gravel vacuum and water change. I carefully remove many pieces which have plants attached and set them either in a bin with tank water or off to the side on a clean towel (depends on how long I intend to be servicing the aquarium). If the plants on the driftwood have grown to the point where they have also put roots down into the substrate, I generally leave those undisturbed. I believe a change of scene helps provide enrichment to the fishes lives, kind of like changing out toys in the parrot cages and rearranging or changing out perches, or providing a new toy for your dog. It gives my fish a new grotto to explore or a new sheltered area to investigate. Perhaps it is a boredom buster for the fish too (?), who is to say? Stress isn’t necessarily always 100% detrimental, in my opinion, as long as your pets are healthy to begin with. And, I agree with everything GaryE says above also, as creating new territorial markers in the tank was my first thought when you asked.

I often change around driftwood when I do a thorough gravel vacuum and water change. I carefully remove many pieces which have plants attached and set them either in a bin with tank water or off to the side on a clean towel (depends on how long I intend to be servicing the aquarium). If the plants on the driftwood have grown to the point where they have also put roots down into the substrate, I generally leave those undisturbed. I believe a change of scene helps provide enrichment to the fishes lives, kind of like changing out toys in the parrot cages and rearranging or changing out perches, or providing a new toy for your dog. It gives my fish a new grotto to explore or a new sheltered area to investigate. Perhaps it is a boredom buster for the fish too (?), who is to say? Stress isn’t necessarily always 100% detrimental, in my opinion, as long as your pets are healthy to begin with. And, I agree with everything GaryE says above also, as creating new territorial markers in the tank was my first thought when you asked.
I do the same as above, during weekly water changes...nothing drastic, rearrange spider wood, rocks, and IALS...my fish *seem* to enjoy new surroundings

Me too.
I rearrange driftwood, caves, plastic rocks, moss balls etc every time. Plus I’ve always a lot of anacharis etc which semi floats while tangled with the above changing the layout without trying too.
It’s like they’re going on their holidays every weekend.

I will move something when cleaning the substrate but usually put it back in place. Most fish don't need enrichment unless it's something like a puffer.

Agree with the comment on territorial fish, it would be very stressful for them to set up new territory on a weekly or even monthly basis.

I personally wouldn’t do it if i had territorial or fighty fish. These days Endlers are at the aggressive end of the scale of fish I’m prepared to keep. No trouble wanted in the tank.

I personally wouldn’t do it if i had territorial or fighty fish. These days Endlers are at the aggressive end of the scale of fish I’m prepared to keep. No trouble wanted in the tank.
Agreed....and watch those endlers...they can be real terrors ^_^

I rearranged the driftwood in my sunfish tank over the weekend, and the sunny is pouting in the corner. But he’ll still come out for live insects.

When my sister upgraded her Peruvian wolf fish in from a 75 gallon to a 120 gallon, he pouted for almost a month. He also pulled out all the swords she planted on one side so that he could watch the fish in my 125 gallon. He still sometimes pouts and refuses to eat so he is getting better. Some fish are just like fussy toddlers.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

No members online now.
Back