Does anyone know what this white nodule is?

Louis Adams

Reaction score
Hi all, just wondering if anyone knew what this white nodule is on the side of my goldfish? Itā€™s been there a while and donā€™t think it has grown in size. Do I need to get treatment for the fish? I also have a sucker fish in the tank with the goldfish too.

Attachments

• 301E7BE3-CCA4-45B0-80B6-9377CF826A02.jpeg
    301E7BE3-CCA4-45B0-80B6-9377CF826A02.jpeg
    117.7 KB · Views: 74
  • 85C68261-6B41-472C-AA25-220C4D21179C.jpeg
    85C68261-6B41-472C-AA25-220C4D21179C.jpeg
    139 KB · Views: 72
  • 8BFBEBD6-209E-487C-B2CE-4FB9F501816F.jpeg
    8BFBEBD6-209E-487C-B2CE-4FB9F501816F.jpeg
    126 KB · Views: 74
Hi and welcome to the forum :)

How long have you had the fish?
How long has the fish had the lump for?

It looks like a big pussy lump but apart from that I have no idea. You could try lancing it. Put some Methylene Blue on the wound before you poke it with a clean sterile needle and see what comes out. Then put some more Methylene Blue on it after you poke it.

Looks like a cyst or tumor to me - most likely benign if it isn't growing. Of course people and animals get these all the time both on top of the skin and under the skin. Humans and animals also get skin tags (like moles) on the outside of the body and they are both just a cause to keep observing. If you see any new growth or change of color I would call a vet. They might be able to snip it off and do a biopsy on it (assuming this is a large, expensive or much loved pet) . Of course if it's cancer - I'm not sure if that's even being treated in fish at a reasonable cost - so this may be a "wait and see" issue anyway. Cute goldfish. If you start to see it moving or see little legs then it is some type of parasite - but this looks pretty stuck on a single area.

Hi and welcome to the forum :)

How long have you had the fish?
How long has the fish had the lump for?

It looks like a big pussy lump but apart from that I have no idea. You could try lancing it. Put some Methylene Blue on the wound before you poke it with a clean sterile needle and see what comes out. Then put some more Methylene Blue on it after you poke it.

Hi Colin, Ive has the fish 6+ yrs could be more. The fish has had the lump for 2/3 weeks maybe longer. I have been away for a period of time but I was told about this on my return. Do you think doing the lancing would hurt the goldfish?

Looks like a cyst or tumor to me - most likely benign if it isn't growing. Of course people and animals get these all the time both on top of the skin and under the skin. Humans and animals also get skin tags (like moles) on the outside of the body and they are both just a cause to keep observing. If you see any new growth or change of color I would call a vet. They might be able to snip it off and do a biopsy on it (assuming this is a large, expensive or much loved pet) . Of course if it's cancer - I'm not sure if that's even being treated in fish at a reasonable cost - so this may be a "wait and see" issue anyway. Cute goldfish. If you start to see it moving or see little legs then it is some type of parasite - but this looks pretty stuck on a single area.

Hi Jan, many thanks for your message. I think I will keep an eye on the size of the lump and see if it changes colour/becomes bigger. The goldfish is portraying normal behaviour at the moment.

The fish will definitely feel it if you poke it with a needle, but it's up to you. You don't have to cut it open, just a needle prick to see what comes out. Apply Methylene Blue to the spot before and after you prick it and that should stop it getting infected.

just a needle prick to see what comes out
Would you preform the ā€œSurgeryā€ in water, or out of water? o_O

(I have never heard of doing that before, so Iā€™m just curious! ;))

I would catch the fish in a net and put it in a small container of tank water. Then lift it up out of water, apply some Methylene Blue nd wait a few seconds, then gently poke the cream lump and see what comes out. Then more Methylene Blue, wait a few seconds and put it back in the tank.

If it bleeds red, then it's a tumour. If it has clear liquid then it's a cyst. If it's white and pussy then it's an infection.

I have a goldfish with a lump. It grew to a point where it popped and stayed away for some time. It has since grown back but doesnā€™t bother him. It will probably pop again. I was told it was a cyst.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back