Does Anyone Know How Much Fish Shop Would Pay For My Fish?

Bambi211

Fish Fanatic
Joined
Jul 16, 2008
Messages
115
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
Nottingham
My fish are currently having so much fry, Ive only got a 60 litre tank. Ive already got 10 fish.

and my black molly has currently just had 10 fry. (these are all in the floating baby tank)

3 Platty fry

I want to keep 1/2 plattys

and about 3 black mollies

I will feel so sad to sell them to the fish shop, i know ill get attached:(

Also i got told i wont get much for them?

Was just wondering if anyone has done this before?? and how much they got roughly?

(Im buying a bigger tank soon so it will be ok for the 4 fry i do keep.

Any advice would be much greatful.

xx

xxxxx
 
i highly doubt theyle give you much at all for them as they can order fish in for so cheap .
 
Sorry never done it so can't really help, but I imagine you'd get very little if anything, they might offer to 'rehome them' if you are lucky, (ie. take tehm off your hands for free), but you have to think that if your fish are doing this, theirs are probably doing it many times over.
You might get lucky if your LFS is a standalone private shop, but if it's part of a larger chain I'd expect your chances are much smaller.

Other tahn selling to other people on here, (Buy/Sell/Swap section), I can't really suggest anything else. This is the issue with prolific livebearers :)
 
It would be great if you find a Shop that will pay you for Mollies, Swords, Guppies etc......they can get them for v.cheap from Supplier, so don't expect too much (I have exchanged some Swordtails for Store credit before, but get a far better return by Private sales > stick an Advert. on These Forums or in Local Papers/Shop window.?)

> I was getting about 1.00 pound for my 'LyreTail' Swordtails, aged about 8 weeks old., but not sure on Mollies - if normal type would be nearer 50p.

Good luck, At the least you should get some Store Credit, which can make the hobby 'pay for itself' slightly.!
 
any big retailer will not take fish..they wont even rehome them for you for free. Petsmart, Petco, wal-mart...etc

If you can find a small local fish store they might swap you for a few bucks store credit. I doubt they would pay cash for them because its a small amount of a common fish. deff ask about store credit though
 
Not every fish shop will take in fish from members of the public. I don't know any who will actually pay for mollie and platy fry they pay next to nothing for adult fish so don't even expect 50p in all honesty. Most will not even take them off you for free. All you can do is place adverts on here, local shops free papers or even ebay.
 
I always figure to get between 10% and 20% of retail, in store credit only. I know that sounds terrible but it is reality. Because the LFS can get large numbers of fish for almost nothing, they look at taking your fish as doing you a favor and they won't give much at all. If you had some beautiful adult specimens such as they can never get from typical suppliers that might be different, but for a juvenile fish that is as big as you can manage to grow them, they are readily available at low prices. If you have rare or hard to find fish that are easy for them to sell, the whole picture would change of course, but mollies and swords arrive in every fish shipment.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top