Does anyone have/know about coldwater marine aquariums?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

I've been running a 1/4hp chiller (for a whole other purpose) for about 3 years. I really like mine! It seems to be able to bring the water down to 10C or less pretty easily as long as the ambient air around it isn't above about 34-36C. Above those temperatures it can manage about 13C, but it struggles a bit.

Most temperate fish and organisms can tolerate temperatures in the high teens and low 20C. If they come from really cold water then keep them in the teens otherwise they should be fine in the low 20s.

I've been running a 1/4hp chiller (for a whole other purpose) for about 3 years. I really like mine! It seems to be able to bring the water down to 10C or less pretty easily as long as the ambient air around it isn't above about 34-36C. Above those temperatures it can manage about 13C, but it struggles a bit.
Would you recommend the brand you use? If so, what is it?

Most temperate fish and organisms can tolerate temperatures in the high teens and low 20C. If they come from really cold water then keep them in the teens otherwise they should be fine in the low 20s.
All good during the winter months, but in the summer I won't be able to maintain that range. :(

I think you should aim for the temperature range you were given at the public aquarium. And, yes I suppose given that I have had 3 good years out of it, I would recommend it. I am using a Coralife brand chiller. Prices vary wildly, so shopping around is worth it.

The other thing I would recommend is to think about your thermal resistance in the system, given that you'll be paying for chilling. To begin with, if it's an option, I'd go with acrylic rather than glass. Single pane 6mm acrylic has an R-value of 1.1 compared to single pane glass at 0.91. Not a massive difference to be sure, but it helps. A top will help too. And if you can stand it, and hide it from the inside, foam board insulation around the sides and on the back will make a massive difference. Note that chillers, because they contain a compressor, and never silent, and work best if they are discharging the heat into another room or space so they aren't working against themselves. I have my water lines running through a hole in the wall into a separate space. The lines have flexible pipe insulation around them as well.

I know this may seem like overkill, because my 1/4 hp unit is under 200 watts. But once I am paying to run a unit like that I begin to worry about efficiencies.

I'd go with acrylic rather than glass.
Believe or not, I was already heading in that direction. Eeekk!

Definitely will have a top, and upon confirmation, I am looking into a Biocube (pending OK from Seattle Aquarium regarding size). Once I get the components decided on I will design the cabinet and get all the necessary panels cut with a CNC router, and I should be able to have the chiller on the other side of the wall as you suggest. I love a plumbing project!
:)

Dinner discussion last night led to looking at acrylic sheets we have. My partner in crime is now excited about building the tank. We are waiting for more information regarding ideal size for "Grunter" but can start playing with prototypes, design the necessary plumbing, cut a miniature version with the CNC router and see how it goes, all before doing a big expensive setup not knowing what we are getting ourselves into. This will allow us to design the refugium/sump as well.

@Advanced Aquarist has a great project in the works and we are looking at his sump to learn from. Thank you for sharing that process!

In the photo, the thickest sheet is 25mm thick so we will not be using that, it is just for reference. More between 6mm or 8mm (now he wants a big tank!), and there will be some cutting of holes through walls to accommodate a chiller in a different space. We will be experimenting with the 5mm that we have. The 7mm may end being the chosen one, but won't know until the tank size is decided on.

Oh, dear! This is going to be fun!

1613752802234.png

Why are you using 25mm thick glass?
They use 12mm thick glass for tanks that are 30 inches high.

Don't drill holes for a chiller, just run the chiller unit on the sump.

Why don't you have the sump under the main tank?
Have a double tier stand with the tank on top and the sump below it. That keeps everything together.

Why don't you have the sump under the main tank?
Have a double tier stand with the tank on top and the sump below it. That keeps everything together.
Yes, if we had the space. However, we need to get creative about fitting this tank and its requirements due to space limitations and aesthetics. ?

If you can fit the tank in, the sump goes under it so there's no need for extra space because the sump goes under the tank.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

No members online now.
Back