Does anyone have experience with budgies?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

I just wanted to thank everyone again for all your help with the budgies. I got my two budgies a little over a week ago and they have already stolen my heart. They are so cute and smart, and already quite tame too. I have a blue and white boy named Marshmallow, and a yellow and green girl named Sprite.

IMG_20201230_184012445.jpg
IMG_20201230_184303450~2.jpg

IMG_20210104_103903244.jpg

^Tired after playing. :wub:

IMG_20210107_163756901.jpg

I just wanted to thank everyone again for all your help with the budgies. I got my two budgies a little over a week ago and they have already stolen my heart. They are so cute and smart, and already quite tame too. I have a blue and white boy named Marshmallow, and a yellow and green girl named Sprite.

View attachment 126231View attachment 126232

View attachment 126233
^Tired after playing. :wub:

View attachment 126234
Sprite actually looks like a sprite can :lol:
Suppose that's why you named her that

Did you trim their flight feathers?
It's preferable not to cut the feathers otherwise the birds can't fly properly and can't get exercise. They need to be able to fly around during the day so they don't get fat and lazy and die from heart or liver problems.

If the birds are in a room with clear windows, close the curtains or put something over the windows so the birds don't fly into them.

Sprite actually looks like a sprite can :lol:
Suppose that's why you named her that

Haha, yes, that's exactly why I gave her that name. :D

Did you trim their flight feathers?
It's preferable not to cut the feathers otherwise the birds can't fly properly and can't get exercise. They need to be able to fly around during the day so they don't get fat and lazy and die from heart or liver problems.

If the birds are in a room with clear windows, close the curtains or put something over the windows so the birds don't fly into them.

Their flight feathers are trimmed, but I didn't do it. I bought them like that. How soon do you think they'll molt and grow the feathers back?
The windows in the room all have blinds in front of them. :)

Last edited:
Birds usually moult once or twice a year. Because they are young, they should moult into adult plumage and they moult every 6-12 months after that.

Birds usually moult once or twice a year. Because they are young, they should moult into adult plumage and they moult every 6-12 months after that.

Okay, they'll molt pretty soon then. That's good. I can't wait to take them out and let them fly around for the first time!

You can let them out of the cage now. Open the door up and let them climb out and explore. It will give them a chance to see things from outside the bars.

You can let them out of the cage now. Open the door up and let them climb out and explore. It will give them a chance to see things from outside the bars.

They have been out a few times. Never very long, but they were out. It's a bit hard to get them back into the cage again because they can't just fly back in themselves, and Sprite is slightly reluctant to get onto my hand. She's not afraid, she just would rather not have to ?. I think I'm going to put a ladder or something there though, so they can get back inside easier.

offer food rewards to encourage them onto your finger.

I use millet to get them on, and it usually works. But sometimes she decides she wants nothing to do with my finger and she will find any way to get the millet without having to go on my hand. ??

Most reactions

trending

Back