Does A Tank Need An Air Pump For Oxygen?

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

smmetz

Fishaholic
Reaction score
OK, here is another noob question:

I have a 29 gallon tank now, and I'm thinking of setting up an old 10 gallon. I always had an air pump in my tank. Do I need to buy another air pump for the 10 gallon? I have noticed that if the water level is a little lower than the output on the power filter, the water coming down creates some bubbles. Would that be enough oxygen, or is an air pump with one of those stones always recommended?

PS - my pump is big enough to power both tanks, but one will be in another part of my house, so that is not an option.

Thanks for the help!

I don't have air pumps in any of my tanks. If your filter output creates bubbles, then I'm sure the fish will be fine. My filter doesn't create any bubbles, just agitates the surface, and is still good enough for the fish to get it's oxygen needs.

Oxygen in water doesnt come from bubbles, it is infused into the water from surface movement, any decent power filter with the outflow placed near the waters surface will create enough movement to oxygenate the tank. An air pump & stone is a optional extra if you like the look of a column of bubbles in the tank and can be benefitial if you are using a strong medication in the tank and require additional aeration, though the placement of a powerhead will be equally effective.

I just make sure that my filter outlet is level with the water's surface and this creates more than enough surface movement (even when the filter is dirty).

Great! One less thing I have to buy. I have a whisper 30 filter on my 10 gallon tank, so that should be creating plenty of surface movement. It came with my 29 gallon tank, but I replaced it with an Aquaclear filter for that tank. I know whisper filters are on the low end, but I figure since it is oversized for the fish tank, that might make up for it.

Thanks again for the help!

Most reactions

Back