« Doctor Fish »

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

These are a fish called Garra rufa, not uncommon in the UK trade. They cost a couple of quid each, and are typical subtropical Garra in terms of care.

They do indeed eat dead skin, though to some degree this seems to depend on them being hungry. Given the choice, they go for algae. In the spas where they are used, the fish are deliberately kept hungry. Under aquarium conditions Garra tend to be fairly flighty and easily spooked, and I can't imagine it would be easy to stick your hand in the tank and expect them to clean up any dead skin!

The jury is out as to whether any of these skin-eating fish treatments actually works in the long term. Certainly a lot of people are making money out of promoting the idea, but that isn't precisely the same thing as a double-blind tested healthcare trial! Moreover, sticking damaged skin or open wounds into any animal enclosure, including an aquarium, is a good way to contract a variety of infections, some trivial, some serious. Salmonella bacteria, for example, are common in aquaria, as are Aeromonas and Pseudomonas bacteria. So before spending any time or money on this project, make sure you speak with a qualified doctor first.

Cheers, Neale

A lot of fish will do this. My platies nibble my hands if I put them in the tank. Tadpoles are much better at it than fish.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back