Do Zebra Danios and White Clouds go together ok ?

Rich T

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
As per title,

Ive just introduced 3 Zebra Danios to an established tank containing 6 White Cloud Mountain Minnows (Most fully grown)

The danios are much more feisty than the clouds and seem to be taking pot shots at the fins of the clouds and generally chasing them around the tank :(

Is this to be expected ? I thought they were a peaceful fish not aggressive :(

I am a newbie so if ive made a gross error please dont take the mick :D

I've got five Leopard Danio's, a Pearl Danio and four White Cloud Mountain Minnows and they live 'peacefully' with each other. The Danio's are much more active than the White Clouds and continually chase each other. I don't think its aggression.

I'm just wondering how big your tank is?

Im guessing 5 - 6 gallons as the box doesnt actually say what size it is :\

Easily big enough for the 6 minnows, 3 zebra danio and the 1 pearl danio which was supposed to be a zebra but when i got it home it was a pearl.

Im expecting one or two of the minnows to keel over soon though as they were the original fish which cycled the tank, ones already looking ropey.

:hi: to the forums

Zebra danio (danio reio) will be very fast compaired to the wcms you can reduce the stress to the wcms by adding at least 2 more Zebras into you tank, space providing of course, This will then give the danios enough platmates so they don't bother the other fish.

Checkout my website for more info on all types of danio.

You seem to be the man in the know about danios, do they prefer the tank to be lit ?

Mines stuck in a dark corner as its the only place that doesnt get hit by direct sunlight

Rich T said:
You seem to be the man in the know about danios, do they prefer the tank to be lit ?

Mines stuck in a dark corner as its the only place that doesnt get hit by direct sunlight
they do like the light ,as all fish do. If you don't have a proper light fittment point a desk lamp( or similar) at the tank and use that to illuminate it.

My first tank i used this method and tried it by putting the lamp on the floor, shinning the light up into the tank so it was reflected on the surface of the water, looked great but not as great as proper lighting. :D

Its not completely unlit, theres a large 100w spotlight bulb on the celing pointed directly at it.

Will sort out the lighting as soon as I can find an easy way to mount it as the tank doesnt lend itself to modifications too well

ok no problems
Another thing i tried was I brought a light unit (arcadia, interpet type thing)and instead of attaching it to the lid I layed the flouresent tube on the back of the tank(out side obviously) and pulled the background back slightly, the light then shone up wards and illumiated the tank that way. The only problem with that was algea grew very quickly where the tube was so close to the glass and I was forever cleaning it off :( but it did look good :)

Bah thought I had a brainwave but my good it was almost disastrous :(

I tried using the light from an old lava lamp, big mistake! Its started to melt the lid...opps back to the drawing board

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back