Do I Need A Nutrient Substrate / Ferts?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

So changing it to that method i'd have:

1 WPG Light
Leonardite with Onyx Sand on top
SeaChem Flourish Excel for Carbon
? for NPK (I would like a liquid off shelf fert)
Or I could use Tropica Plant Nutrition+ which contains N & P.

Ok i'm about done I just need to figure out what to use for NPK

NPK means Nitrogen (N), Phosphorus (P) and Potassium (K). Find an off the shelf fert with those in and you're all set :)

Seachem Flourish has NPK and might make sourcing both Flourish, and Flourish Excel easier as they are both Seachem products.

^ I call that an EI / 'El Natural' hybrid approach to keeping plants.

Take some time to research 'El Natural' tanks if I were you. Perfect for good substrate, low lighting non-CO2 tanks. Very low maintenance t'boot.

The above hybrid approach is aimed at allowing for the introduction of ferts and hence CO2 in the form of Excel to get better growth. I think you'd need to up your lighting for that to 1.5 to 2.0 Watts / US Gallon.

Andy

Ok then, can anyone suggest lighting upgrades then?

My tank is like 60cm in length, the light is 15W 18" 0.9 WPG. Also it's T8, Arcadia Original Tropical Plant Growth Lamp, but then again I don't have to use the one I have at the moment, I could get a different type as long as it fits an aquarium hood.

I'd need 34W total lighting max then.

SeaChem Flourish says It doesn't contain NPK.

Just in case I didn't make myself clear:For a pure 'El Natural' tank, I don't think you'd have to upgrade your lighting. Espcially not if your tank recieves direct sunlight.(But yes, you would have to up it slightly for that hybrid technique....)Andy
SeaChem Flourish says It doesn't contain NPK
Yes it does. Are you confusing this with SeaChem Flourish Trace?

Also consider using SeaChem Flourish Equilibrium if you live in a soft water area.

In all I just want it to work well without CO2 and for plants to grow and algae not to go. Can anyone tell me how I should go about doing this, as I am yet again confused.

'Flourish™ is a comprehensive plant supplement for the natural freshwater aquarium. It contains a rich assortment of important micro elements, trace elements and other nutrients.

These include calcium, magnesium, iron and other important elements that have been shown to be beneficial to aquatic plants. For macro element (NPK) fertilization, use Flourish Nitrogen™, Flourish Phosphorus™ or Flourish Potassium™ as needed.

250 ml treats 100 gallons for 4-6 months

DIRECTIONS: Use 1 capful (5 mL) for each 250 L (60 gallons*) once or twice a week. For smaller doses, please note that each cap thread is approximately 1 mL. Refrigeration after opening is recommended but not required.'

http://www.aquaessentials.co.uk/index.php?...products_id=299

I just want it to work this time unlike last time when I knew nothing and I was algae central, I want to try keep the costs low too but I'm willing to save up also, (all I have to fund this is pocket money :$.)

Yup I already read that earlier. I'll post my new plans up now.

1.5-2.0 WPG Lighting (Need Suggestions, currently on 18" 15W T8.)
Onyx Sand with Leonardite below.
Seachem Flourish Excel for Carbon.
Tropica Plant Nutrition+ for NPK and Extras.

Thank You.

LOL!

SeaChem Flourish contains:
0.07% Nitrate [NO3] <- N
0.01% Phosphate [PO4] <- P
0.37% Potassium [K] <- K
0.14% Calcium [Ca]
0.11% Magnesium [Mg]
0.28% Sulphur
0.01% Manganese [Mn]
0.01% Boron
1.15% Chlorine [Cl]
0.32% Iron [Fe]
0.13% Sodium [Na]
Traces of: Copper [Cu], Molybdenum [Mo], Zinc [Zn], Cobalt [Co]

So it DOES contian NPK, just not that MUCH! If I were to choose a product for NPK dosing however, I would choose:
Tropica Master Grow+ aka: AquaCare Plant Nutrition+ Liquid aka: Tropica Plant Nutrition+
“Contains all essential nutrients needed and also includes Nitrogen N & Phosphorus Pâ€￾.
“Contains everything you need to growâ€￾
Contians:
1.34% Nitrogen [N]
0.1% Phosphate [P]
1.03% Potassium [K]
0.91% Sulphur
0.04% Magnesium [Mg]
0.07% Iron [Fe]
Traces of: Boron , Copper [Cu], Manganese [Mn], Molybdenum [Mo], Zinc [Zn]

Andy

Consider this for your substrate too:

Tropica Aquacare Plant Substrate
Acts as a long term nutrition store for water plants. It is a natural concentrate of clay and sphagnum moss.Clay and sphagnum slowly release nutrients to the water plant roots and binds nutrition in the water in the bottom layer. Removing nutrition from water reduces the risk of undesirable algae growth.

I've not used it myself but others sing its praise for this kind of setup.

Use it with the onyx sand on top if you desire the black look. Leonardite / mulm underneath if you want added substrate oomph.

Then to start, heavily plant (min 50% plant coverage) with so called 'starter plants' otherwise known as 'algae busters'. Such as:
Hygrophila species (e.g. Hygrophila polysperma)
Ludwigia species
Rotala species
Egeria species (e.g. Egeria densa).
Brazilian Water Ivy
Small Ambulia
Mexican Oak Leaf
Water Sprite
Cambomba Caroliana
Hornwort

Then, once establsihed and growing well, gradully phase the majority (but not all, keep some fast growers in the tank) with plants you want.

Andy

Onyx Sand is the one for me, black substrate looks so cool, I put it in my 35L the other day when i set it up, also sand = happier Corys. Now I need to find a 11-19W or 26-34W light which is hood suitable and also suitable for a 24" or 60cm tank.

I mean Onyx Sand on top of Tropica Aquacare Plant Substrate on top of Leonardite (+ mulm). I wouldn't think that Onyx sand & Leonardite alone is good enough. The main substrate for the plants here that will house 'all the good stuff' for them will be the Tropica Aquacare Plant Substrate.

However, I can't remember all what was in that thread, but I'm pretty sure this method is based on El Natural and that CERTAINLY needs a good rich substrate such as Tropica Aquacare Plant Substrate / AquaSoil / EcoComplete.

Andy

Most reactions

Back