Do I Have Room For More Fish?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

fishandfishy

Reaction score
I started my first tank about six months ago.  As of now I have a 14g planted tank containing the following:

4 glowlight tetras
5 cardinal tetras
2 german blue rams (mated pair)
4 tiny snails (hitch-hikers, not sure what they are)

I feel like the tank needs one larger fish, and I would love to get an angel.  Thoughts or suggestions would be apprieciated.  My tank is very peaceful and I don't want to mess anything up, I just want more variety.

Attachments

• 1372031794828.jpg
    1372031794828.jpg
    20.7 KB · Views: 144
you cant get an angel the tank is to small however your schools are too small so you could probaly up the schools to 6 each

Snails could turn out to be a nightmare ...multiply fast if not controled.
And 14g not a large volume so numbers be limited. However shoal of 6min should be done.

Thanks for the input. I've noticed that my tetras don't school, this must be why.  Do I have to keep six of each variety?  Will they form two seperate schools? Any suggestions for any other fish that I could keep in the tank?

Fish only school as a defense mechanism; in the safety of our tanks they rarely do.

Different species might shoal together as a sort of 'last resort', but they prefer to be with others of their own species. Don't forget that, in the wild, these fish live in shoals of hundreds, or even thousands.

I concur with the other members that you don't have enough room for another species; up your shoals and you'll be fully stocked.

If you up the school numbers to 6 then you will be pretty much be fully stocked.

The tetras you have there aren't really a schooling variety, they will school when they're scared and at night but, other than that, they'll mostly be independent. If they're not schooling it pretty much means they're happy :)
Fluttermoth pretty much bet me to it :)

Thanks again! I will up my schools. My tank looks happy, and I want a larger community, I guess I'm ready for a bigger tank!  Any advice on tank size/shape? I would like to include my current population plus one or two angelfish.  Attatched is a picture of my current set-up.  I want to keep the "bonzai" that I made.

Attachments

• 1374871112655.jpg
    1374871112655.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 156
Well, for angels you need a tank that is at least three feet long and eighteen inches tall.

Two angels is asking for trouble, unless you get an already mated pair. You'll need to either start off with six youngsters and wait for them to pair off, find a mated pair that someone's rehoming or keep just one.

sorry for saying this but your tank is already overstocked. all tetras needs to be in shoals of minimum 6 and to keep 2 shoals of tetras you need to have bare minimum 30 gallon long tank. also rams needs needs minimum 20 gallons too , your tank can only support one shoal of tetras and maybe dwarf gourami. 

You can't put anymore fish as your tank is overstocked already. also shoaling fish do better in longer tanks than tall tanks of minimum 24 inches long. as for angel fish they need way taller than 8 inches as the angel fish can grow 12 inches tall and six inches long.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back