Do Fish Make Better Parents If Left To Be Raised By Mum And Dad

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

balajake

Fish Addict
Reaction score
I just wondered of this was the experience of you breeders out there. I know in some cases you might have no choice but to remove fry from the parents but I was wondering if fry left exclusively to be raise by their own parents went on go be hassle free parents themselves ? Does it make a difference to their own behaviour towards caring for eggs and rajsing fry to maturity ?

I was reading recently exactly about this. Aparently, home bred fish after generations of being separated from their parents(for fish that does look after their babies), become poor parents themselves.

I tend to leave fry with parents for a month or two if possible for the very reason you mention.... whether it makes any difference or not is a different matter. Lol. I have read and kind of believe it does make a difference, yes.

:dunno:

I am definately of the opinion that if left with the parents longer then their instinctive behaviour comes more naturally to them and they are more likely to be better parents. Obviously proof would be needed

Most reactions

trending

Back