Do Diferent Species Of Piranha Get Along Well?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

o i couldnt agree more..like someday i wanna get an elongatus...they are so cool, but very expensive, and do know if they are really as aggressive as the internet says they are?

what exactly is it your looking for with piranhas?sheer aggression?If thats the case Im not surprised your bored with tank bred reds.

at first yes it was just because they were agressive, and its not that im bored with them, i just wanted to get a lil variety in it which i know u really cant...and although reds are not very aggressive they r still cool and i actually find mine rather agressive, even though i dont have much to compare to, from experience at least..and i also like the way that they 'act' i guess...like it seems as if they are liked linked to eachother in some way, obviuosly they comunicate i know, but like sometimes they will all be in a little group all facing the same direction, im not sure why though, and how they feed is really cool; they shy away from the food first, but when one, usually the "alfa," attacks it they all attack it, them biting into it like sends out a signal. and its sweet that they have a cycle for feeding too kind of like they go in a line one after another......although i do find it odd that, even though they are like a kind of'community' they still fight sometimes, even if i just fed them i sometimes find that one a=has a mild injury, never anything serious though

That's good, too many people get a piranhas because the they think it will tear the crap out of anything and everything that hits the water. As you have figured out, they don't. Glad you like their behavior!

About the connection part, ever scare one fish and watch the chain reaction? One fish flinches, which startles another fish, which starts a huge domino effect. In the end you end up with a tank full of thrashing fish. Funny isn't the right word but it's interesting nonetheless. It happened quite a bit with the discus I had too. The only way to really calm them down quickly was to turn off all the lights in the room.

hi all,

I only wanted say that people who buy piranhas did not buyed them for thier colors or look, most people buy piranhas for thier way of eating, slicing and tearing apart thier prey...... but think again that behavior occurs ONLY in the wild, even wild cought piranhas will not act as vicious as they were in the wild....

That's good, too many people get a piranhas because the they think it will tear the crap out of anything and everything that hits the water. As you have figured out, they don't. Glad you like their behavior!

About the connection part, ever scare one fish and watch the chain reaction? One fish flinches, which startles another fish, which starts a huge domino effect. In the end you end up with a tank full of thrashing fish. Funny isn't the right word but it's interesting nonetheless. It happened quite a bit with the discus I had too. The only way to really calm them down quickly was to turn off all the lights in the room.

hahaha yea i know exactly what you mean!! and it worries me when they all lash out when htye get scared bc they hae bitten eachther on accident before and they run full speed and bash into the glass sometimes...and u wonder why they arent so smart???

hi all,

I only wanted say that people who buy piranhas did not buyed them for thier colors or look, most people buy piranhas for thier way of eating, slicing and tearing apart thier prey...... but think again that behavior occurs ONLY in the wild, even wild cought piranhas will not act as vicious as they were in the wild....

I find that statement abit stereotypical, I bought my piranha due to the looks and personality of the fish, you cant say ever piranha owner is buying them to make youtube videos with slipknot in the background while the piranahs rip up a goldfish. Also you clearly havent owned these fish as the "slicing and tearing" eating behaviour is mimicked in the aquarium, please have your facts straight before you make such comments, thank you :)

jonny has a point. I too bought mine because of looks and personality, not because of videos on youtube. Go have a look at a dedicated piranha forum and you will be surprised at what you find if you think everyone buys piranhas for their ability to kill things.

generally speaking the answer is no,

this depends on other factors though, the size of the tank, how many piranhas you have, if they are tank bred or wild caught, etc etc,

for a school of 8 red bellies you should have at least a 200 gallon tank

Most reactions

Back