Do Correct Stands Make Tanks Safer?

Carp4U

Fish Crazy
Joined
May 4, 2008
Messages
218
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
Cheshire, UK
I want a proper stand for my Juwel Rekord 70 (15 gallon).
At the moment it's on a old MDF cabinet which seems ok, but it has warped a lot in places under where the tank is plus I think there is water damage under the tank to the cabinet due to spills from water changes, so the actual surface is a bit unlevel in places which I have noticed has made the tank slightly unlevel too.
I don't have much money atm, so, basically has anyone got the proper stand for the rekord 70 because juwel make their own stand i think and is it safer and better than my MDF cabinet?

Cheers
 
the if wood under the tank is bending the glass can crack.

i would get either a better table or the proper stand
 
The warped wood will cause major problems, most likely resulting in the tank emptying it's contents all over you floor.

I wouldn't say the correct stand makes the tank safer, just as long as you have something that is on a level floor, flat and strong enough to withstand the weight of the tank, you should be ok.
 
I started building my own stands & racks due to the dismally underbuilt products offered. Mdf, or any particle board has no business being used for a stand. When solid wood is used, it's lumber that by all appearances is barely up to doing the job.

Either building your own is the cheaper way to go, or if you are less handy, an old buffet cabinet or other such furniture is often built better than newer tank stands. Garage sales, which I believe are called boot sales in the UK are the way to go with these, as are online sales sites such as Craig's List.
 
I started building my own stands & racks due to the dismally underbuilt products offered. Mdf, or any particle board has no business being used for a stand. When solid wood is used, it's lumber that by all appearances is barely up to doing the job.

Either building your own is the cheaper way to go, or if you are less handy, an old buffet cabinet or other such furniture is often built better than newer tank stands. Garage sales, which I believe are called boot sales in the UK are the way to go with these, as are online sales sites such as Craig's List.

I was considering it, but i know that i would make a bad quality stand and that it would probably be unsafe, plus i wouldn't trust the stand at all. And, if the stand was bad and the tank fell then i would never forgive myself. You'll reply back saying it's easy but a homemade stand will be no good for me. I am putting it in a small space so i don't want to put any cabinets or furniture in.
 
Sounds like you just want a tank stand. Becuse like what was said before h
You could even use a good study night stand.it's only 15 gal. Just make sure you. Put something under the tank so water spill are not a problem. Like a glass or plexi glass top. Or you could seal the wood with stuff they use for decks. Or just get a cheap metal one.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top