Do Balloon Mollies Eat Their Fry Or Other Fry?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

ladybogusz

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi, I have a 50L Nursery Tank, and was wondering if Balloon Mollies eat fry at all, as I'm tempted to let my heavily pregnant ones give birth in their without the need for the traps...got sooo many pregnant fish at moment, the nursery tends to get full of breeder traps...and just got back from a fortnights holiday! LOL

The 50L Nursery Tank has Guppy Fry and Swordtail Fry in there at the moment.

Nathalie x x x :blush:

They will probably eat some yes. Only suggestion is stick loads of moss and plants (Inc floating plants) in the 50l with them to try to save as many fry as possbile.

To be honest though, not saving ALL the fry, might be a good thing..?

It all depends on the fish. My rescued molly that gave birth this morning didn't eat any of her fry, and she had over 26, all in plain sight. Some mollies will, however, eat their fry, so I suggest putting a whole bunch of plants in the nursery tank, (including on the bottom of the tank.) and that will mostly eliminate the chance of any being eaten.

Good luck! :good:

Well feed fish generally do eat their fry, but they may try a couple.

A well fed female will seldom eat many fry. This girl was with her fry continuously for over 6 weeks and I never saw any sign that she was eating any. This picture was taken when I got home the day she delivered her fry. I have no idea what time but I was only away about 9 hours.

MomNEmDay1_976.jpg

Yeah same thing with my molly who dropped today. 27 fry, didn't even show interest in them. I only separated them because I was feeding them different foods.

Most reactions

trending

Back