Do Apple Snails Eat Hair Algae?

Iron Man

Fish Addict
Reaction score
I have a newly setup tank (few weeks old) and I'm getting my first algae bloom. The only problem is the main algae in the tank is something I've never had in freshwater before....hair algae.

I'm off to get a few apple snails for the other algae but what about the hair algae are they going to eat that too? What animals will if they don't?

I want to keep this algae off of my plants as much as possible as well so what shrimp are good for this type of algae?

I've read up on algae and its prevention and I'm afraid I can't much more to prevent it right now until I can get some CO2 and more plants.

Thanks for any info!

David

GOOD news! I woke up this morning to see the two smaller apple snails that I got yesterday up on the tops of the tall plastic plants munching away.....there is nothing on the tops of these plants but hair algae! :kana:

The big one musta not have any luck....he was still gliding around on the sand. :whistle:

I don't know for sure that's what they're actually eating but they sure have been busy up there all day....and I don't see as much hair algae anymore. I'll keep you posted on this.....as this could solve many problems with other tanks that can't keep shrimp?

I'm getting some cherry or amano shrimp too.

Thanks for the post anyway jflowers. :thumbs:

David

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back