Diy Led Hood Build

Craig89

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Now I no this has been covered a number of times and there is some excellent threads on it already, but I feel mine is a larger project than the others due to the amount of LEDs I want to use.

Now I'm using the 1w star LEDs like most and was considering the led driver others have used but the downside is these only run 6 LEDs per driver which would mean I would need 3 drivers and 3 24v power supplies. Does anyone know an easier way to run 18 LEDs maybe off a single power supply ?

If not I would have to incorporate a 4 plug adaptor in the hood itself.

Use 8 3W LED's instead? That way you'll only need 2 drivers and if you use lenses you'll get roughly the same spread of light.

I just love the experimentation that people are doing with LEDs and look forward to any final results that get posted. I am very much an "old school" fish keeper, which means I will never know about any of this stuff without reading your posts. Has anyone figured out an equivalent to the old watts per gallon that we used with fluorescents? I would dearly love to convert most of my tanks to LED to save costs, you would not believe what 26 planted tanks costs to light, but I have no reference that lets me do it properly.

26 tanks !!!!!! You must be kept very busy with all those I havnt worked out the watts per gallon but I have worked out the cost of materials which comes in at £30 which to be honest is very cheap for lighting for a 4ft tank

I just love the experimentation that people are doing with LEDs and look forward to any final results that get posted. I am very much an "old school" fish keeper, which means I will never know about any of this stuff without reading your posts. Has anyone figured out an equivalent to the old watts per gallon that we used with fluorescents? I would dearly love to convert most of my tanks to LED to save costs, you would not believe what 26 planted tanks costs to light, but I have no reference that lets me do it properly.
Well I can work it out gauged on my set up:

15USG tank, 6W of LED (2*3) so 6/15 = 0.4W/G That is low tech, maybe if everyone collated their results we could work out some general constant for lighting a tank using LED's?

The hood I'm making is for a 74USG tank and will have 12 3w LEDs so 12x3= 36 so 36/74= 0.4wpg. Which looks to be low so I want be able to have very many plants :-(

Forgive me if this is a load of rubbish, but my understanding is:

to score a tanks light, shouldnt we be using PAR or soemthing similar? I only say this as most LEDs are Brighter and/or cheaper to run that tubes, and the wattage they use is a direct corolation to how much they will cost to run. so comparing 2 3W LEDs H/O to a 12W Tube (of the same spectrum) wont necessarily give you an accurate indication of what you need.

For example, in one of my posts, i currently have 2 24W Tubes, which i am replacing with 2-3 3W LEDs with a 60 Deg Lens. The LEDS prove to be just as bright/brighter, and the same spectrum to my tubes, i am confident that these will do fine, however, obviously only time will tell for sure!

Yeah you have a point I don't think the WPG rule works very well for LEDs I'm searching online to try find a way to compare LEDs to tubes but nothing has come up yet

Ok so the first piece of the puzzle is here

60 degree lenses, 15 in total:
2bec8ed2.jpg

Just waiting on the LEDs the drivers and heatsinks to arrive now. I've chosen to use 12 white 3w LEDs and 3 blue 3w LEDs.

Well it's been a long time coming but the LED Drivers are finally here the LEDs won't be here untill then end of the month (bloody hong kong items) going to cut the mdf and Perspex out and drill holes for the lenses this weekend.

Such a long build but hopefully worth it.

If there is one thing i have learned about a build like this is spend a little more now and really take your time to make it perfect and you will love the result.

Yeah I'm kind of glad pieces are coming In drubs and drabs as it gives me more time to play around with the design rather than rushing to get everything fit and working

Most reactions

trending

Back