Diy Fish Tank Stand

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

D34DLY

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hey there. This is just a quick post so I don't lose my picture links. Nevertheless, have a peak at my ideas below! (Expect this post to be edited as soon as I have time!)

333g01h.jpg

2zi299x.jpg

If you have any suggestions then feel free to suggest! I have estimated the design to be about £400-£500. (including equipment such as filters etc.)

The actual project will begin taking place in as little as a few weeks.

The stand shall by made "DIY" style :p, as we all like :D Whereas the tank will be ordered in custom made. (quoted £135)

Just for those who agree with me that my drawing skills are not impressive. I shall just let you know that at the bottom, (yes that rectangle what you see) are sliding wooden doors; giving access to the cupboard. (refer to the second picture for what the inside looks like.) The next above that is an aquarium (222litres est.), followed by a flap for access then a nifty vivarium :D.

If all comes to it, I shall most likely be increasing the height of the vivarium, as the panels of wood I will be buying will be 2440mm. Thus minimizing scrud.

Any thoughts?

Comment!

Thanks

okay il be honest m8 i wouldn't have sliding doors at the bottom i think normal swing doors will look better, now 222L is allot of weight my only problem is the shelf it is on, what wood you using. i would also probably put the filter on the right hand part with the electrics, and then open up the cleaning products not sure how big your filter is and that, have you thought about a inline heater? and possible co2 in the future? just to check is 15cm going to be enough with light fixtures under there?

not trying to say this is a bad idea just making sure these things are addressed don't want anything going wrong now do we :) but amazing design i would love to have something of this my self too, il be watching this closely :) as i want to do this too, but with a much bigger tank maybe double in size :)

good luck

okay il be honest m8 i wouldn't have sliding doors at the bottom i think normal swing doors will look better, now 222L is allot of weight my only problem is the shelf it is on, what wood you using. i would also probably put the filter on the right hand part with the electrics, and then open up the cleaning products not sure how big your filter is and that, have you thought about a inline heater? and possible co2 in the future? just to check is 15cm going to be enough with light fixtures under there?

not trying to say this is a bad idea just making sure these things are addressed don't want anything going wrong now do we
smile.png
but amazing design i would love to have something of this my self too, il be watching this closely
smile.png
as i want to do this too, but with a much bigger tank maybe double in size
smile.png

good luck

Hey there!

a) Since the whole structure is to be fitted in a very limited corner, in order to have access to both cupboards it is required to have them sliding... As having them swinging would require more space in front of the stand. However, one thing which this has just stemmed me to think about was: With one door being bigger than the other, the middle cupboard could be potentially inaccessible... No matter where the door swung to, the shelves in the middle would still be inaccessible! So thanks for this. Possible ways to overcome this? I suppose I "COULD" make more space, however this would require a completely new and shorter desk.

b) The fish tank will be sitting on four 15mm contiboard supports (vertical lines in the "inside the cupboard" picture") Would adding horizontal lines to these to create shelves weaken the structure? If so, this will definitely be reviewed.

c) The whole idea of having the filter separate to the electrics is the whole deal about something potentially going wrong... Power is often cut out frequently in my area, thereby I'd hate to come home and find puddles in my room... Along with all my plugged in appliances no longer usable... Worst yet - I could not be returning to a home... If everything went up in flames. :(

d) Inline heaters have most definitely been an interest of mine, and if I can find one suitable I'll be sure to have it!

e) CO2 injections seem to be too much of an ask for me. I can imagine huge gas cyclinders, piping everywhere... and thats not even thinking about the cost!

f) The light fixtures shouldn't be over 2-3 inches thick, thereby 15cm (5.9") is in my opinion, more than enough.

Thanks for the reply! Hope to hear from you again soon!
b)

okay what you could do is have three sliding doors, ? like in this sorta format --__-- where you can only open on of the left or right doors at one time but can open the middle up anytime if you understand that :p

with the tank, i think you need some thick timber support beams like two at back and two at front, to help support it, my worry is the contiboard over time may bend or buckle over time?

i understand what you mean about the filter leaking, but from what i know if you have a power cut the filter wont leak will just turn off, you have the plugs raised so it if will leak you have no problem you can pre empt stuff but making a plastic box over the plugs or even buy waterproof fixings for inside? just a theory, bottom line is if it leaks its not going to start spraying out it will just seep out onto the floor, again you could have a drain hole at the back if this would happen?

inline heaters defiantly, it will fit in there nicely as well, hydor is a good make for that 200W or even 300W would be good enough

co2 expensive to start with but who says in 2 years time you get bored and want to do down that route, co2 cyclnders are safe otherwise why would they be placed in every public place known to man :) fire extinguishers is what i use anyway cost you about £80 and last you about 6 months to a year and just the cost of a new FE or refill haha,

hope this all helps haha :)

ziko

okay what you could do is have three sliding doors, ? like in this sorta format --__-- where you can only open on of the left or right doors at one time but can open the middle up anytime if you understand that
tongue2.gif

with the tank, i think you need some thick timber support beams like two at back and two at front, to help support it, my worry is the contiboard over time may bend or buckle over time?

i understand what you mean about the filter leaking, but from what i know if you have a power cut the filter wont leak will just turn off, you have the plugs raised so it if will leak you have no problem you can pre empt stuff but making a plastic box over the plugs or even buy waterproof fixings for inside? just a theory, bottom line is if it leaks its not going to start spraying out it will just seep out onto the floor, again you could have a drain hole at the back if this would happen?

inline heaters defiantly, it will fit in there nicely as well, hydor is a good make for that 200W or even 300W would be good enough

co2 expensive to start with but who says in 2 years time you get bored and want to do down that route, co2 cyclnders are safe otherwise why would they be placed in every public place known to man
smile.png
fire extinguishers is what i use anyway cost you about £80 and last you about 6 months to a year and just the cost of a new FE or refill haha,

hope this all helps haha
smile.png

ziko

Oh.. So techen was serious about fire extinguishers? :D

I'm not handling the whole actual construction part, my step-dad is, but I'll be sure to alert him! I remember him going on about back supports or something....

And unfortunately... I haven't got a clue of what you're on about about the three sliding doors? Remember that the bottom left of my stand is the only one "comfortably" accessible. Whereas the right side is hidden by a desk, (will get a new desk in time, a much shorter one. However this would still only leave a a tiny gap to reach.)

I might aswell... Get rid of my desk... But then where would I put my printer? :eek:

Also, I presume every crack and joint in the desk to be sealed with silicone. My step-dad always has plenty of tubes from work - Are these sufficient?

Man... Am I going to hate throwing away my desk... Perhaps I can get a shelf which is deep enough to work on? (thereby the doors underneath aren't affected..) I can already imagine myself drawing up plans for a whole bloody new DIY project... A desk one this time -_-

haha desk wise you can get a computer desk where it is open at the sides il search for one show you what i mean, but yes just inform him of the weight involved for the middle shelf and im sure he will help you then, remember 222L of water os 222Kg ad the tank weight say 50Kg, say you need 25Kg of sand maybe 50Kg of sand so thats another 50 so thats 322Kg so far, add plants rocks, fish maybe another 25Kg so thats 350Kg of stuff in the tank just make sure he knows this and he may help you with the design

http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?q=computer+desks&hl=en&sa=X&tbo=d&biw=1440&bih=803&tbm=isch&tbnid=P_plc8oGGhiLlM:&imgrefurl=http://www.homeofficeworld.co.uk/c/Home_Office_Furniture_Computer_Desks.htm&docid=T83GkuGRlaH8bM&imgurl=http://www.homeofficeworld.co.uk/images/products/Malmo%252520Black%252520Computer%252520Desk_A_L.jpg&w=180&h=180&ei=RwPFUP6FE5SZ0QW274HQDw&zoom=1&iact=hc&vpx=533&vpy=494&dur=1035&hovh=144&hovw=144&tx=93&ty=72&sig=100408746415834039994&page=1&tbnh=144&tbnw=144&start=0&ndsp=33&ved=1t:429,r:27,s:0,i:236

http://office-turn.com/contemporary-computer-desks-for-home-office

some thing like these :)

Think Ill go with a design like: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Windsor-Wood-Effect-Computer-H900xW700xD570mm/dp/B00365P77M/ref=pd_sim_sbs_kh_1

Payday Thursday so will order then :) Unless I can sell the one I have now before then.

Thanks for all your help! I will now probably revert back to normal swinging doors!

Just for a quick update:

I have been quoted for the tank at £135 (£150 including glass sliding covers.) and so will be taking this option, picking it up when it is ready.
After I have calculated all the costs for wood, and the complicated task of trying to guess the amounts of wood needed I now have an estimated cost. With a 50% on some Hardwood Veneer wood in my area, alongside a reduced price of 20% if ordered between now and the new year, the costs for ALL the needed wood comes to around £139.91.

Pushing the total price so far to £289.91

My maximum budget: £450-£500

Giving me a good hundred or two to spend on the actual electronics and other devices. I can see the aquarium filter being the big one, as I dont want to scrimp here.

I will upload pictures as soon as the project begins, (going to collect wood tomorrow, if not atleast order it.)

Now is the time you can suggest great electronics :) Such as tank heaters and filters, and the like for the vivarium. I've been looking at a Eheim Professional 3 350T. Thoughts?

Most reactions

Back