Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

60 Gallon Custom Cabinet Upgrade

Discussion in 'Freshwater Journals' started by BiggTexx, Apr 11, 2015.

1. BiggTexx

BiggTexx Member

I have been struggling for a while now trying to decide whether I wanted to do a conversion to a FOWLR tank or doing a custom cabinet build to replace the cheap stand my 60 gallon came with.  I haven't done a FOWLR tank in a while and may eventually get back into it, but I think I have finally made the decision to do the custom cabinet build for now.

I have been playing in SketchUp again and have played with a few different models, but I think I am finally getting to a point I wanted to share the overall idea.  I am hoping someone will have some input on the design and offer some advice as to what I may consider adding/removing.  Keep in mind, I am not the best at this, but I have been figuring out more as I go along, so not everything is 100% to scale.

The overall concept is a 72"L x 20"W x 72"H cabinet.  The tank would be located in the upper 'half' of the cabinet with 2 sides visible. The lower half would contain a 40"W door that would hide any spare equipment, food, etc.  The left side of the cabinet would have 2 doors allowing access to the main equipment section, and a electrical switch panel allowing easy access to turning on/off lights, pumps and performing water changes (this is going to be a massive upgrade of an automatic water changer based on the principals behind the python water changer).  Basically, a self-contained system.  There are a few aspects I am still struggling with, but should work themselves out soon.

Front View:​
    60Stand.jpg
     ​
    Rear View:​
    60Stand2.jpg

2. RRaquariums

RRaquariums Chatroom Moderator
    Chatroom Moderator

It looks good to me. Hope you take lots of pics and make a build journal. Looking forward to seeing it progress :)

3. frapadoodle

frapadoodle Moved On

Looks good, definitely a proper cabinet. More a piece of furniture than most store bought stands. Iffy at first about the idea of a 40" door, but it would be a nice panel.