60 Gallon Custom Cabinet Upgrade

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

BiggTexx

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
I have been struggling for a while now trying to decide whether I wanted to do a conversion to a FOWLR tank or doing a custom cabinet build to replace the cheap stand my 60 gallon came with.  I haven't done a FOWLR tank in a while and may eventually get back into it, but I think I have finally made the decision to do the custom cabinet build for now.

I have been playing in SketchUp again and have played with a few different models, but I think I am finally getting to a point I wanted to share the overall idea.  I am hoping someone will have some input on the design and offer some advice as to what I may consider adding/removing.  Keep in mind, I am not the best at this, but I have been figuring out more as I go along, so not everything is 100% to scale.

The overall concept is a 72"L x 20"W x 72"H cabinet.  The tank would be located in the upper 'half' of the cabinet with 2 sides visible. The lower half would contain a 40"W door that would hide any spare equipment, food, etc.  The left side of the cabinet would have 2 doors allowing access to the main equipment section, and a electrical switch panel allowing easy access to turning on/off lights, pumps and performing water changes (this is going to be a massive upgrade of an automatic water changer based on the principals behind the python water changer).  Basically, a self-contained system.  There are a few aspects I am still struggling with, but should work themselves out soon.

Front View:​
60Stand.jpg
 ​
Rear View:​
60Stand2.jpg

It looks good to me. Hope you take lots of pics and make a build journal. Looking forward to seeing it progress :)

Looks good, definitely a proper cabinet. More a piece of furniture than most store bought stands. Iffy at first about the idea of a 40" door, but it would be a nice panel.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back