Dissertation Questionnaire On Loss In Biodiversity Of Coral Reefs Glob

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

connorsbala

Leader Of The Seahorse's!
Reaction score
Hi there,
I'm a student at Staffordshire University and I am doing a dissertation on whether the decline in biodiversity of tropical coral reefs globally in the wild has had an impact on where aquarists source their specimens for their home aquaria or public aquarium from; whether they acquire captive bred species instead of wild caught marine animals in order to help conserve the natural populations of marine fish, invertebrates and coral. I shall be investigating this at a global scale, looking at coral reefs globally, marine aquarists internationally and at public aquariums also.
I would be extremely grateful if you could take the time to answer my short 10 question survey at the link provided below. Once all my information has been collated I am happy to post my findings on here.

Many thanks,
Connor

Survey: http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/KF6GGF2[SIZE=12pt].[/SIZE]

I'd like to help, Conner, but I don't do salty, sorry.

Good Luck with your dissertation!

You are likely better off contacting a supplier than a local hobbyist for the information.

I can say that more and more of us reef keepers are buying aquacultured corals and don't even get them from the reef anymore. Here in Arizona we have an organization dedicated to growing out corals and trading them locally and some of our stores are really buying more cultured corals.

That said, the reasoning isn't so much to save the reef but because corals that have been aquacultured are hardier in the aquarium.

When we can't get aquacultured we will try to get maricultured corals rather than corals from the reef.

I would also advise you to be highly skeptical of your sources when using articles on this subject. You will notice if you Google search for "reefs in better shape than thought" the first article is titled "Coral Worse Off Than Believed".

Many thanks for your reply tcamos, very helpful.

But please, could people still take the time to do the survey! :)

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back