Discus

emmsy

Fishaholic
Joined
Apr 12, 2008
Messages
571
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
swansea
My new large tank was gonna be a Malawi tank, but then I went round my friends house today. The had a rena tank with discus in it. Don't really know much about discus and their habitat requirements or temperament. Can someone give me a crash course in Discus. Tank size = 2,200 litres 9x3x3. How many could I have? what is the ratio with these fish? Sorry, so many questions


Emma
 
that's a good size tank :)

Discus are soft blackwater fishes from South America. There are 4 species, green, blue, brown and hequel. There are also hundreds of colour varieties. Most discus are captive bred in Asia.
They like warm water around 26-32C. I prefer to keep them at 26-28 so if they get sick you can up the temp to 28 or 30C.
If they are captive bred fish then they will tolerate a wide range in water conditions, otherwise keep them in water with a neutral to slightly acid PH and a hardness below 200ppm.
They will hang out in groups when young but once they mature they pr off and each pr will have a territory covering a couple of square feet. Adult discus can hit 8-10 inches but most are around 4-6inches. They mature between 1 & 2 yrs old and can live for 10yrs or more.
They will be fine in a planted tank and will eat most fish foods. In the wild they will eat small crustaceans, fish and insect larvae. I don't like feeding them on frozen bloodworms (Chirominid midge larvae) because it can cause internal problems, (mainly bacterial infections).
In good water quality they don't get sick but when stressed they often go dark and develop cloudy eyes. New fish are prone to internal Hexamita infections that can be treated with Flagyl (Metronidazole).
If the fish get fed lots of meat foods and the tank is kept spotlessly clean they can have problems with Hole in the Head disease, (also known as Head & Lateral Line disease). "Waterlife Octozin" usually clears this problem up. If the fish aren't treated soon enough they can end up with scarring from the disease.
A mature pr of discus will lay eggs on rocks or other hard surfaces. They guard them for several days before the eggs hatch. The fry are free swimming several days later and feed from the mucous coating on the adults. After a week the fry can be offered newly hatched brineshrimp. They are usually left with the parents until they start feeding on alternative foods and no longer go back to the parents for their mucous.

Good tank mates include most tetras and catfish. Corydoras will often lose their barbels in really warm water. Hoplos and small plecos are fine with them. Uaru amphiacamphoides are similar to discus and will live with them. Angelfish can be kept with them but make sure the angels are free or parasites before introducing them to the discus. Festivums work well as do the Apistogramma dwarf cichlids.
 
Your tank is 580 gallons? They say 10 gallons per discus so I think, if I'm right you could have about 50 discus in your tank, although you might not want it all discus with nothing else.

I know if I had that tank omg emma I am so jealous :rolleyes: i would probably have about discus, sailfin plec, large angels, gold severums, clown loaches

I have no idea if they are compatible with each other because I've never had to research a 580 gallon tank!!!

and p.s. good luck reaching the bottom of a 3 foot tank hun ;)
 
Your tank is 580 gallons? They say 10 gallons per discus so I think, if I'm right you could have about 50 discus in your tank, although you might not want it all discus with nothing else.

I know if I had that tank omg emma I am so jealous :rolleyes: i would probably have about discus, sailfin plec, large angels, gold severums, clown loaches

I have no idea if they are compatible with each other because I've never had to research a 580 gallon tank!!!

and p.s. good luck reaching the bottom of a 3 foot tank hun ;)
Yeah, that is definately a bra off windows and doors closed job hahaha

no it will just be discus in there

http://www.fishforums.net/content/forum/24...rumroll-Please/
 
Your tank is 580 gallons? They say 10 gallons per discus so I think, if I'm right you could have about 50 discus in your tank, although you might not want it all discus with nothing else.

I know if I had that tank omg emma I am so jealous :rolleyes: i would probably have about discus, sailfin plec, large angels, gold severums, clown loaches

I have no idea if they are compatible with each other because I've never had to research a 580 gallon tank!!!

and p.s. good luck reaching the bottom of a 3 foot tank hun ;)
Yeah, that is definately a bra off windows and doors closed job hahaha

no it will just be discus in there

[URL="http://www.fishforums.net/content/forum/24...rumroll-Please/"]http://www.fishforums.net/content/forum/24...rumroll-Please/[/URL]

PMSL I hope you got your snorkel ready!
 
Yeah, that is definately a bra off windows and doors closed job hahaha
Unlike my neighbour who hoovers up with no clothes on. lol.
 
and p.s. good luck reaching the bottom of a 3 foot tank hun ;)
LOL
yeah I remember that at the petshop. Poor Nikki only had short arms and sometimes had to clean the 6x2x2.
3ft deep is even worse. They look good but suck to clean.
 
got one of those extra long hoovers. thank god

I think I, along with everyone else, would love to see pictures once you have this set up.

Yeah, Pictures will be in abundance, I promise

Emma

What about extra long net just in case :crazy: I have trouble getting dead fish out of my 20" high tank
Can't wait for pics, can you do some as you go along with the building progress too please :D
 
Wow that will be one fantastic Discus tank. Just do plenty of research on water quality for Discus, if you keep the water at right parameters (soft/KH and slightly acidic/PH, no nitrites, low nitrates) and get a good waterchange routine going and suitible filteration in a mature tank you can,t go far wrong.
regards Angel
 
Yes, okay, will start a diary Saturday. I'm off Saturday. Didn't think about the net...Doh! Thanx for that

Emma
 
Woops forgot to mention that the tank should be somewhere that lots of people move past. I am serious about this. If discus are kept in quiet rooms that nobody goes into they become shy and reclusive and panic if anyone looks at them. If they are in a living room or kitchen and people are always walking past the tank, they settle down really well and do much better.

And I know that is in complete contradiction to all the books that say discus should be kept in a dark quiet room. It doesn't work for discus or any fish. The tamest discus you will see are the ones in the LFS that are in a tank near the door. Every time someone goes past the tank the fish will be swimming around saying gimme some food.
Then look at the discus in the back corner of the shop and they will panic as soon as someone looks at them.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top