Discouraged

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

wildechild_01

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Ok, so mostly this post is because i am getting a little flustered and frustrated with my fish keeping, i will admit a lot of my problems came from my not doing the research before hand, i just went out and bought a tank and tossed some fish in... hurray for fish in cycles... just as the filter was getting to the end of they cycle due to mechanical issues i had to get a new tank and filter... que second fish in cycle, this one went a good deal quicker than the first thanks to bacteria on my plants and decorations, i lost 2 fish during the second cycle though and felt terrible for putting them through the fish in cycle process twice. Added a few more fish, for the first week eveyone seemed happy as could be, then life happened and i ended up working out of town when i get home... ICH... yay.... i decided to go with the heat and salt water treatment fish seemed to be doing fine with salt levels and water temp.. more out of town work... come home fish still seem fine, most fish have no white spots, a few have a lot of spots, water change, and add some salt to keep the levels where they were as it seems to be working... more out of town work...sigh... get home on a thursday, all of the fish seem happy and there are no white spots... I've learned my lesson about research by this time, so leave the treatment in for the weekend to make sure, sunday fish are looking a little stressed so i lower the temperature and they seem better, later that night do water changes to remove salt fish seem great for a few days... last weekend one of the Bala sharks starts to look wrong... i can tell he is sick, looks like swim bladder, other fish not eating too much, switch up the food and everyone seems happy... i go out of town again, but my partner is home with the fish.. Tuesday morning the bala is dead, but everyone looks healthy, i get home friday afternoon everyone seems happy and healthy, but it looks like there may be some ich spots again.. apparently didn't get it all, im going with the store bought medication this time, by friday evening the other bala seems to be getting pushed around by current and not really in control, water test, levels are fine, feed fish, he eats.... hmmmm..... this morning... dead bala shark.... aghhhhhhh... i am moving in 3 weeks and have a second tank now that i am currently cycling so i can put the fish in it for a day or 2 (i am down to 3 tiger barbs and a polka dot loach) while i give my main tank a much needed cleaning, obviously i do not want to re stock before the move and more importantly i dont want to restock untill i have the ich situation delt with... i realize a lot of my problems are related to not being home everynight, but hey when its work out of town or dont work i go out of town..

Anyway, i guess i just needed to vent about my fish keeping frustrations to other fish keepers who understand how much it sucks to lose fish..... Sigh

Ok, so mostly this post is because i am getting a little flustered and frustrated with my fish keeping, i will admit a lot of my problems came from my not doing the research before hand, i just went out and bought a tank and tossed some fish in... hurray for fish in cycles... just as the filter was getting to the end of they cycle due to mechanical issues i had to get a new tank and filter... que second fish in cycle, this one went a good deal quicker than the first thanks to bacteria on my plants and decorations, i lost 2 fish during the second cycle though and felt terrible for putting them through the fish in cycle process twice. Added a few more fish, for the first week eveyone seemed happy as could be, then life happened and i ended up working out of town when i get home... ICH... yay.... i decided to go with the heat and salt water treatment fish seemed to be doing fine with salt levels and water temp.. more out of town work... come home fish still seem fine, most fish have no white spots, a few have a lot of spots, water change, and add some salt to keep the levels where they were as it seems to be working... more out of town work...sigh... get home on a thursday, all of the fish seem happy and there are no white spots... I've learned my lesson about research by this time, so leave the treatment in for the weekend to make sure, sunday fish are looking a little stressed so i lower the temperature and they seem better, later that night do water changes to remove salt fish seem great for a few days... last weekend one of the Bala sharks starts to look wrong... i can tell he is sick, looks like swim bladder, other fish not eating too much, switch up the food and everyone seems happy... i go out of town again, but my partner is home with the fish.. Tuesday morning the bala is dead, but everyone looks healthy, i get home friday afternoon everyone seems happy and healthy, but it looks like there may be some ich spots again.. apparently didn't get it all, im going with the store bought medication this time, by friday evening the other bala seems to be getting pushed around by current and not really in control, water test, levels are fine, feed fish, he eats.... hmmmm..... this morning... dead bala shark.... aghhhhhhh... i am moving in 3 weeks and have a second tank now that i am currently cycling so i can put the fish in it for a day or 2 (i am down to 3 tiger barbs and a polka dot loach) while i give my main tank a much needed cleaning, obviously i do not want to re stock before the move and more importantly i dont want to restock untill i have the ich situation delt with... i realize a lot of my problems are related to not being home everynight, but hey when its work out of town or dont work i go out of town..

Anyway, i guess i just needed to vent about my fish keeping frustrations to other fish keepers who understand how much it sucks to lose fish..... Sigh

Know how you feel regarding workvs fish dilemma. Have to go away myself sometimes. Fish in cycles don't have to be fatal to fish. Didn't know about cycling when I started but kept mine alive with twice weekly big water changes. Recommend big water changes before and after going away- should keep NH3& nitrite down even without proper filtration. Mind you I have mollies, no experience with bala sharks.

Yup you live you learn. Sorry its been such a bumpy ride. But it will get better once you have everything sorted out. Good luck and keep doing your research ask question and you will be fine.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back