Disaster!

Curiosity101

Is now at University! :D
Joined
Mar 26, 2009
Messages
5,527
Reaction score
4
Points
38
Location
Uk, Nottinghamshire
I was just reading through the university accommodation rules and it states that you cannot have fish on the campus.

Some of you may know that I was going to be setting up a 25l CRS, planted tank. It was going to sit in my uni room and be a nice little homely feature (Seeing as I have to leave my fishies in Sheffield :()
Well anyways I'm devastated, they say nothing about not being allowed freshwater invertebrates or a fish tank in general, so as far as I'm concerned it wouldn't be braking the rules.

However...it's not fair on the shrimp to get them all settled in just to have to rip the tank down and put them in my home aquarium. Also, I don't think purposefully bending/breaking an accommodation rule within the first day of being there is the smartest idea..

So I sent them a rather lengthy e-mail explaining exactly what I wanted to do. That I'm not a novice and that it wouldn't be the same as a bunch of students who put a goldfish in a bowl in the communal kitchen and then leave it to rot!
I'm hoping for the best, and just wondering if anyone else has been in a similar situation? Also what was the outcome?
 
oh, thats a shame, it doesnt matter, im sure you will have plenty of things to do :shifty:

Lol, my boyfriend will be living in the same building as me too....

But I still want my shrimp! I'm just hoping they'll consider what I'm asking. I also including rough running costs etc etc, I think I made quite a good case for myself tbh :)
Though I'm still not feeling all that confident.
 
oh, thats a shame, it doesnt matter, im sure you will have plenty of things to do :shifty:

Lol, my boyfriend will be living in the same building as me too....

But I still want my shrimp! I'm just hoping they'll consider what I'm asking. I also including rough running costs etc etc, I think I made quite a good case for myself tbh :)
Though I'm still not feeling all that confident.


lol, have fun!
 
Wait one year. Next year you can choose your accomodation and get yourself a tank set-up.

Besides - you need all your desk space this year for those books and bits of paperwork. Uni supplied student accomadation doesnt usually provide much workspace - you will need it all. Trust me.
 
What's the point in waiting if I can have it this year? :rolleyes: lol. I'm not going to set it up if they say no...but it's certainly worth asking!.

And actually the accommodation I'm staying in is only a year or two old, it's very well thought out as far as workspace and shelving etc. Also the accommodation I was in last year *for the whole 2 weeks I was there*, was also brand new and very well fitted!
So actually space...not really an issue.
 
Good for you! Mine was a nightmare. Paper thin walls and not enough room to swing a Hamster! (and you know how noisey some students get - especially when they have their boyfriends/girlfriends round if you catch my drift)

Be ready to hear a no simply because they often dont have building insurance to cover water damage. Even if its a small tank it could still mean "new carpet" time and they wouldn't like to incurr the cost.

Plus you get extra time to imagine the layout. Grow some sea-monkeys if they say no!
 
Oh I'm not expecting walls that are any thicker than legally required, which I agree in my old room was...thin. I was sandwiched between the linen closet and the kitchen though. So all in all not too bad...

And yeah, I expect them to say no. I'm presuming it will be insurance related but didn't mention that in my e-mail. I didn't want to prompt them to say no! lol.

Also sea monkeys...more hassle than they're worth. And for that matter they're damn expensive!
 
sea monkeys aint expensive, they are just brine shrimp???

personally i would have just set the tank up without telling them. Not like they would have found out
 
We have cleaners do the rooms every week or so...it'd be them that would alert the warden (if anyone did), and then it would filter up the chain of command. I really didn't want to risk it to be honest...not once I found out it actually might be against the rules anyhoo.

And yeah I think sea monkeys are brine shrimp, and brine shrimp aren't expensive...but have you seen the price of a sea monkey starter pack?
 
a fake wall/cabinet some where and all is hidden when needed :P

yeah they are silly prices if you buy into the gimmick
 
lol, a fake safety deposit box that fits over it isn't a bad idea! Though not sure what they'd make of the humming and water noises...
 
buy one of those on the wall pictures that looks and sounds like a running stream, they wouldnt notice :P
 
Hmm... you seem far too quick to come up with good ways around my little problem :shifty:

Oh and as a side note, my inbox keeps alerting me to new e-mails...then I get all excited, then it's spam... I'm going to give myself a heart attack at this rate! :lol:
 

Most reactions

Back
Top