Disappearing Tetras, And Now A Dead Danio

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

JenLo

Reaction score
Hi all,

About 3 months ago I bought a second hand 100L (22gallon) tank from a lady that lives nearby. It has been up and running for more than a year, and I inherited her fish:

2 mollies
2 zebra danio
1 pleco (I think dwarf)
1 neon tetra

I added to it 2 danios that I already had in another tank, then gradually added 5 more tetras.

Firstly, one of the mollies died not long after the move (I assumed from stress).

Then, two neon tetras vanished the day after I added them, again I thought from stress.

After a few weeks I added 3 more tetras and again, 1 vanished overnight.

Then 2 weeks ago the other molly died.

Now, I have just returned home after an (unexpected) 2 days away to find that 2 more tetras and 1 danio have disappeared.

After looking for them I found the body of 1 tetra and the poor danio, who had become entangled in the filter and looked a bit of a mess :(.

The danio was looking a little on the chubby side before it died, but the others all seem to look quite happy.

I'm feeding them either a scattering of flakes once a day, or some dried or frozen bloodworm as a treat (plus pellets for the plec). I also have live plants and two filters - a stingray and a EHEIM aquaball.

I wondered if something could be eating the tetras - but the danio death is a mystery.

What could be going wrong? I wanted to have 6 danio and 6 tetras so they were in schools, but now I am down to 3 danios and 3 tetras. 

I have checked my water parameters with a liquid kit and they are:

ammonia: 0ppm
nitrite: 0ppm
nitrate: between 0-5ppm
PH: 7.8
temp: 25 degrees

Thanks for any help on this.

anything fish activivty out of the norm?
on a side note theres no such thing as a "dwarf pleco" there are smaller species though.

Nothing out of the norm. They all look fine, and they are eating fine.

Ah thanks, don't know much about him, other than he is fascinating! I might put a pic up and see if anyone can tell me what he is, thanks. 

hmm thats strange, i stumped, id doubt theres anything eating the tetras

Yeah ive had the tetra thing happen to me, when they die there bodys fall apart fast and just get sucked up prob,and i seen a danio of mine get really crazy bloated and then die... But haven't seen that in almost a year.

The tanks have had a partial water change and gravel clean tonight. I just hope I don't lose anything else. 

Can danios explode?! It looks like that may have been what happened. 

Not pleasant :(

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back