Dipping My Toes Into The Salty Sea.

irvs

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi all, ive admired marine aquariums for years and feel im ready to take the plunge and go salty :good:. My only problem being it has to be a nano setup due to space restrictions and the tank im going to use. The tank in question is a tetratec aqua art 60L, i bought this about 2 years ago and has evolved into quite an enjoyable tank to watch and so its time to evolve further...

I know reading and taking on board the info is the key to understanding marine setups and ive been doing just that and have a few questions if you all dont mind :blush: .

-I upgraded the standard internal filter for an external tetratec ex600 filter, so i was planning on using this for extra filtration and the fact it holds nearly 6 extra litres of water(every drop helps). Has anyone else used this filter will it stand up to the job??? Also what else should be added to the filter other than live rock rubble??? (((the ex600 has a flow of 600 litres per hour))).

-The standard light in the hood is a 15w t8, are there any corals that would live under this light or should i just scrap the unit and retrofit a new daylight and night light system???

I think that will do for now so ill just get back to my researching and list more questions :blush:

thanks neil.

:hi: irvs to the salty side.

A 60 litre tank is very small so adding another 6 litres is a very good idea. You can run phoshate remover as well as live rock rubble in there as well :good:

There are quite a few corals that can be kept under low light, however if you get bitten by the bug you will soon want to upgrade to at least t5

Dont forget to start a journel with your plans

Seffie x

ps is that your dog, just lovely, we would love to see some photos in the Pet section :good:

Hi seffieuk thanks for the reply very helpful indeed. like you said the 60l is small but im up for a challenge. I keep dewarf cichlids which are super sensitive to changes in water permaters even the water temp so im well used to constant tests and water changes already :good:
Im going to make my first pershase a good informative book, what would everyone recommend for a first marine book???

Seffieuk your "hardware of the month" write up has been super helpful, credit to you :good:

I'll be back soon with a new list of questions thanks for looking
neil.

Books, emmmm......... I would prefer to read losts of journels and research on the net :good:

However there are some books:

Eric Bournman - coral book
Anything by Michael Scott - for fish

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Aquarium-Corals-Selection-Husbandry-Natural/dp/1890087483

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Reef-Aquarium-Fishes-Essential-know/dp/1890087890/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1279390490&sr=1-2-spell

Seffie x

yea i know what your saying about the journals im reading as much as i can, though i dont plan to salty until the end of the year, gives me loads of research time. Or as the girlfriend says "being a nerd"

thanks neil.

Planning is a lot of fun if you let it be, its people who rush, rush, rush, who crash, crash, crash very quickly on the salty side

Seffie x

100% agree with that, i may be strange but i enjoy planning and setting up my tanks as much as i do looking at them.

Hi...as typical for out of the box aquariums, this one needs some DIY or upgrades. Obviously, as Seffie said, the lighting is inadequate to support the most colorful corals. Certainly adding more volume by any method increases the tank's ability to absorb insults. But...now matter any way you slice, nanos, even with 4 extra liters, are vulnerable systems.

Welcome aboard and we look forward to seeing you get off the ground. My main advice: WAIT...'til your tank matures before adding corals and if you are getting fish, add them first.

SH :hi:

Thanks all for the info, yip i'll be taking it slooow, i actually enjoy the research and waiting side of things ive good patients :good:

With regards to waiting im planning on waiting several months before fish would be added, just run a good clean up crew until the tank has been WELL matured. Fish wise i think i'll just be having a single gobby and a shrimp to go with him after all its only a 60l tankand the less bio load the better.

I'll be upgrading the lighting deffently, im pretty handy at making/designing things so its another good wee project for me to do. Being only a single bulb setup i can make room for two bulbs if i strip out the original setup, what would everyone recommend for a daylight bulb and nightlight bulb???

thanks neil.

If you are a dab hand at diy you could buy a halogen light, you know the sort that is used outside, fit a new bulb and 'bobs your uncle' a cheap alternative with loads of light :good: Think the lads would be able to help a bit more with that (yeah, I know that sounds sexist!! :p, its not meant to be, they just have a bit more experience with that side of things)

Seffie x

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back