Different Species Of Kuhli Loach

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
Status
Not open for further replies.

Crossfire

Cogito Ergo Sum
Reaction score
I've noticed that there are many different species of loach we simply refer to as a "kuhli loach". Most pet and fish stores will just mingle different species together, and just label them kuhlis. While it is true, that they are in the same family, they are definatley different species. So, ever wonder which one you have? Here's an index of all the different species of Kuhli Loach!

The most common one and the original for which all others are named, Pangio kuhli, grows to a maximum of 4 inches. They come from Indonesia. As all kuhlis, they aren't schooling fish, but will be happier in groups of +3. They are identified by the stripes. Notice how their stripes aren't too thick or dark, like other upcoming species. Their stripes also don't encompass the whole body.

kuhli_striped_1.jpg

The second most common kuhli loach, is Pangio myersi,the Giant Kuhli Loach, or the Myer's Loach. These monsters always attain 4 inches (10 centimeters) and are very thick and chunky. They are also identifiable in their thick black bars, compared to the tiny ones in Pangio kuhli

2104_coolie_loach.jpg

Giant Kuhli Loaches are also more likely to be albino. However, albinism in all kuhli loaches is still incredibly rare.
MyersLoachAlbinoWFLo_Ap4A.jpg

:eek: I didn't know kuhli loaches came in a 4" size! I always thought kuhlis were awesome... except for their tiny size.

I'll have to keep an eye out for these big boys. I want. So badly!

Pangio malayana, another "kuhli loach" gets to about 3 inches (8 cm) and is easily identifiable by the apparent lack or minimum number of stripes. Found in Malayasia, Borneo, Thailand, and Sumatra

image_medium-2.jpg

Pangio alternans, the Borneo Kuhli Loach, found in Borneo and Indonesia, it gets 3 inches (8 cm) long and is easily idenitfied by the beautiful later dappling
image_medium.jpg

Pangio anguillaris, very different from other kuhlis, they have no stripes, and look very "eel" like.
image_preview.jpg

Pangio cuneovirgata, also labeled Kuhli Loach, it has fine stripes and a pink spot near the front. End up being only 2 inches, and hail from Java, Sumatra, and Malaysia.
image_medium1.jpg

Pangio oblonga, the Black Kuhli Loach, is completely black in appearance. Reach 3 inches, and are found all over Southeast Asia.

image_medium2.jpg

Pangio pangia, the Cinnamon Kuhli Loach, is shorter than the Black Kuhli Loach as well as being more brown than black. They reach only 2.5 inches in lenght, and originate from India.

image_medium3.jpg

Pangio piperata, very similar to the Cinnamon and Black, but have lateral dappling.

image_preview3.jpg

Pangio semicincta, the Half-Banded Kuhli Loach, looks very similar to Pangio kuhli, but have 9-12 black stripes that don't fully circle the body. Also a very common Kuhli Loach. Reaches 4 inches.

pangio_semicincta.jpg

Pangio shelfordii, The Calico Kuhli Loach, has no stripes and is just dappled. Reaches 3 inches and comes from Malaysia and Indonesia.

image_medium-1.jpg

The newest loach on the block, the Panda Kuhli Loach, was discovered in Thailand in 2006 and has yet to be given a scientific name. They are 3.25 inches long when mature, and are distinguished by a black body and "panda bear" white marks on the head.

image_preview-1.jpg

I have 5 Pangio kuhli, 2 Pangio pangia and 3 Pangio semicincta. :)

Got 2 pangias and 3 kuhlis from a fish store, later on 3 semicintas and 2 kuhlis from another tank owner who was giving everything away.

Loaches.com shows 15 varieties of Pangio. You missed the Pangio cf. anguillaris aka Brown Eel Kuhli Loach, Pangi doriae and Pangio filinaris :)

Well darn. How I am I supposed to fit 6+ of each in my house. Maybe a tank that slides under the bed? Nice thread Crossfire...Surprised KrazyKhuli hasn't shouted at you yet :shout:

You need to cite pictures that you borrow from the internet. Or take your own pictures. Sorry to be harsh, but I write papers and do articles where I've had to borrow images, and I give credit where credit is due. I'm closing this topic until you make the proper citation marks.

Again, not trying to be mean, just protecting you and this forum.

L

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back