Did You Have This Problem Too?

ALEXF

Fish Addict
Joined
Apr 13, 2008
Messages
771
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
Willoughby, Ohio
When i started out i said i would only have a ten gallon tank and would never want anything else after a month i got a 55 gallon tank and now ive been eye balling a 75 gallon tank i saw.... darn you mts. Eevn thou i was trying to find something to fill my ten, im debating about selling it. If i can find something i like ill keep it, if not ill sell it what ever happens first. Im scared if i keep filling all the tanks i have then.... welll..... ill have full blown mts and im trying to stop myself ahead of time. How do you break the cycle?
 
I'm starting to think my shrimp tank isn't big enough :P

To be honest I think you should keep the 10 as its the perfect size for a hospital/quarantine tank.

I've got no idea how to break the cycle!
 
I went out to buy a 10-15 gallon tank for a few guppies. I came home with a 30 gallon tank which has anything but guppies.

I went out to buy a 10 gallon quarantine tank. I came home with a 20 gallon which has now seen the end of its quarantine days (as soon as the bacteria cooperate and start eating nitrite).

I went out to buy another 10 gallon quarantine tank, and actually brought a 10 gallon home. I hid it away where I didn't see it every day. I seriously doubt it'll be there long, as I'm already thinking of getting a betta for it.

As for breaking the cycle, I wouldn't be able to budget a third active tank easily. So don't worry, eventually you won't be able to afford it anymore.
 
Ihave a tank i use for quarentine as i keep mostly small fish, so that would be a good idea but i have one :( and as far as not being able to afford it.... Well that hasnt stopped me, if i cant afford something i piece it together a little at a time til its whole may take weeks may take months but it never stops bwaahahahahah. i think out of sight out of mind, becasue the more i look at it the more options i run through, divid it for a betta, maybe a goldfish, some dwarf puffers, the possiblities are almost endless (Excluding big fish). i need more space lol o yea and shrimper.... feed the sickness, get yourself a larger shrimp tank, with all the breeding youve got going on your gonna need one. lol
 
At times i've been tempted to replace my 3 125gallon tanks with 2 6ft long 160gallon tanks, however i've never been really serious about the idea since i haven't had my large tanks that long (only about 1-2years+) and my large pleco's simply don't tolerate each others company at all, so have to be kept separately.
Only if one of the pleco's passed away or was rehomed would i consider having two larger tanks instead of 3 large ones, however if my pleco's stay healthy then they'll probably live for decades- rehoming one of them is a slight possibility in the distant future though, since one of my common pleco's was adopted off a friend who had to go to uni about 3years ago, however he's finishing uni in a few months and i think he is planning on settling down a bit when he does. If he does settle down and get a large enough fish tank, i know he'd probably want his old fish back (which i would be happy to give back if he got a large enough tank :) ).
So basically i'm stuck with the tanks i've got for now and the foreseeable future, I'm quite happy with things either way though anyway; fishkeeping can be very addictive, however you always have to keep in mind the workload and expense of running more and larger tanks- thats one thing at least which puts me off having more tanks in the future.
It would still be pretty awesome to have a large indoor pond/s though, i've always liked those and it would be cool to rescue and adopt unwanted tankbusting fish.
 
See i live in this fantasy land where im going to have loads of money.... so one day ... most people have green houses, well i want to have kind of a walk in terrarium complete with Freshwater ponds and lizards and snakes, the ponds would be low to the ground but you would be able to see in the sides as well as the top with branches and things hanging over head. Alot of maintance but really amazing at the same time..... definately going to want some tank busters...
 
See i live in this fantasy land where im going to have loads of money.... so one day ... most people have green houses, well i want to have kind of a walk in terrarium complete with Freshwater ponds and lizards and snakes, the ponds would be low to the ground but you would be able to see in the sides as well as the top with branches and things hanging over head. Alot of maintance but really amazing at the same time..... definately going to want some tank busters...


That would be awesome :good: . Sounds like what you really want/need is a zoo though :D !
Although i would probably never had the opportunity/money to do it, i've always liked to entertain the idea of starting up my own huge public aquarium :D .
 
if only we could all have jobs doing what we enjoy.... instead i work a job ill take a job that i dont care about to afford doing what i enjoy lol. I have actually seen someone who had something similar to what i was talking about. They had a green house for water dragons thou i dont know if they had fish in it. and it was amazing.
 
oohh thats a beautiful dream, i hope you succeed, i have an terrible case of MTS but hasnt gone quite that far ..yet. lol you dont braek the cycle! you simply make room :lol:

good luck
shelagh xxx
 
I managed to kill every snail in my tank in one go with wormerplus, great stuff....killed MT's ramshorns the lot....id highly recommend it to remove the damn parasites.
 
I managed to kill every snail in my tank in one go with wormerplus, great stuff....killed MT's ramshorns the lot....id highly recommend it to remove the damn parasites.

We are talking about the other MTS... Multiple Tank syndrome!
 
MTS? Not me. It's all comparative, a horse is big compared to a dog, until you put that horse next to an elephant. My setup is pretty average, compared to lots of the folks I associate with.
 
MTS? Not me. It's all comparative, a horse is big compared to a dog, until you put that horse next to an elephant. My setup is pretty average, compared to lots of the folks I associate with.

MTS? Indeed ive got it, I bought a 15 Gal, then decided to get a Rio 300 now im in the process of buying another 4 foot for a ncie big community then I can turn the 15 gal into brackish :D
 
For me 'MTS' wore off after about 18 months as the initial novelty value of having loads of tanks wears off when you realise that keeping them going becomes more of a chore than a hobby. Unless you do nothing else with your life it just isn't possible to have loads of tanks and keeping them all looking nice. In the long run it's better to have 1 or 2 that you can really be proud of.

I cut down from 5 tanks to 2, however then my BNs bred so I have 3 including the fry tank.

The trick is to not stock up your tanks so quickly, if you only add fish that you really want and haven't just impulse buyed then you won't stock up so easily and find you need another tank for those "really pretty fish in the lfs that I have no room for".
 

Most reactions

Back
Top