Diatoms, Bacteria, Algae - OH MY!

OP
kribensis12

kribensis12

I know where you live
Reaction score
I've noticed today that it's continuing to grow and spread out tentacles around the tank - and the water above it is stagnant and very unappealing looking in addition to two spots that appear a blue-is green color (but not BGA). I'm planning to remove the parents from this fry tank this week and when I do I'll do my best to clear out whatever the heck this is growing in the tank.

Byron

Fish Guru
Reaction score
I've noticed today that it's continuing to grow and spread out tentacles around the tank - and the water above it is stagnant and very unappealing looking in addition to two spots that appear a blue-is green color (but not BGA). I'm planning to remove the parents from this fry tank this week and when I do I'll do my best to clear out whatever the heck this is growing in the tank.
What it is is clearly organic matter, as I previously explained. Adding any "food" such as fertilizers, fish foods, etc will encourage it.

Uberhoust

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
I have an article elsewhere on lighting, perhaps it is time I posted it on TFF as the subject does arise frequently and it is a significant issue for our fish.
@Byron please do post. I will watch for it.

@kribensis12, just a personal observation is that when I use wood that has aged in a dry environment I tend to have more issues with various films that develops on them, I also seem to end up with more fungi. I expect the commercially sourced wood would is not aged in an aquatic environment, though I really don't know. Additionally to Byron's point I find it very difficult to adjust the amount of food I give to my embers in a 10 gallon tank. The tank is so small that I find it very easy to overfeed the fish.

Byron

Fish Guru
Reaction score
@Byron please do post. I will watch for it.

@kribensis12, just a personal observation is that when I use wood that has aged in a dry environment I tend to have more issues with various films that develops on them, I also seem to end up with more fungi. I expect the commercially sourced wood would is not aged in an aquatic environment, though I really don't know. Additionally to Byron's point I find it very difficult to adjust the amount of food I give to my embers in a 10 gallon tank. The tank is so small that I find it very easy to overfeed the fish.

Yes, I am inclined to think "wood" is the underlying issue here; all sorts of things might get into wood and appear later. How this moved from one of my tanks when torn down to another in which I used some of the same wood from the original is too coincidental.

And I will offer the article to Chad.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online