Diatoms, Bacteria, Algae - OH MY!

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
I've noticed today that it's continuing to grow and spread out tentacles around the tank - and the water above it is stagnant and very unappealing looking in addition to two spots that appear a blue-is green color (but not BGA). I'm planning to remove the parents from this fry tank this week and when I do I'll do my best to clear out whatever the heck this is growing in the tank.

I've noticed today that it's continuing to grow and spread out tentacles around the tank - and the water above it is stagnant and very unappealing looking in addition to two spots that appear a blue-is green color (but not BGA). I'm planning to remove the parents from this fry tank this week and when I do I'll do my best to clear out whatever the heck this is growing in the tank.
What it is is clearly organic matter, as I previously explained. Adding any "food" such as fertilizers, fish foods, etc will encourage it.

I have an article elsewhere on lighting, perhaps it is time I posted it on TFF as the subject does arise frequently and it is a significant issue for our fish.
@Byron please do post. I will watch for it.

@kribensis12, just a personal observation is that when I use wood that has aged in a dry environment I tend to have more issues with various films that develops on them, I also seem to end up with more fungi. I expect the commercially sourced wood would is not aged in an aquatic environment, though I really don't know. Additionally to Byron's point I find it very difficult to adjust the amount of food I give to my embers in a 10 gallon tank. The tank is so small that I find it very easy to overfeed the fish.

@Byron please do post. I will watch for it.

@kribensis12, just a personal observation is that when I use wood that has aged in a dry environment I tend to have more issues with various films that develops on them, I also seem to end up with more fungi. I expect the commercially sourced wood would is not aged in an aquatic environment, though I really don't know. Additionally to Byron's point I find it very difficult to adjust the amount of food I give to my embers in a 10 gallon tank. The tank is so small that I find it very easy to overfeed the fish.

Yes, I am inclined to think "wood" is the underlying issue here; all sorts of things might get into wood and appear later. How this moved from one of my tanks when torn down to another in which I used some of the same wood from the original is too coincidental.

And I will offer the article to Chad.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back