The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Circus

Fish Herder
Pet of the Month 🎖️
Fish of the Month 🌟
Reaction score
So I had a betta jump out of his tank today. His name was Spangle and he was a Half-moon King. I found him when I got home from work. It looked like the tank lid had been shoved over a bit, probably by my dog bumping into the tank stand.
I had a kind of DIY lid on it, just a piece of plexiglass that left the back 1/2 inch or so uncovered. I tend to leave it off when feeding them in the morning. The tank is a 10 gallon split into 3 sections for 3 different betta. Once Spangle's tank was finished being decorated he was going into his own 5.5. I was going to do it in all red white and blue and be shamelessly in your face American about it. I have only had him about a month and a half, but I think he was my favorite. He was super chill and never flared and would follow me around, moving from one side of the tank to the other as I walked around the kitchen. I just feel really bad about it. There is knowing that betta will jump, then there is seeing a beloved pet on the floor.

20200724_171858.jpg

I am going to work on filing the sides of the lid down so it will fit into the frame better, but is there anything else I can do to secure it? Other than tape?

Attachments

• 20200720_225604.jpg
    20200720_225604.jpg
    276.6 KB · Views: 80
  • 20200717_211238.jpg
    20200717_211238.jpg
    221.8 KB · Views: 73
Ah man i hope he's ok??

For the lid, I'd glue some parts (? improvise) to the underside of the lid where it meets the four corners of the tank if you know what i mean?

Ah man i hope he's ok??

For the lid, I'd glue some parts (? improvise) to the underside of the lid where it meets the four corners of the tank if you know what i mean?
He died, unfortunately. I do want to better secure the lid so my other betta do not jump out. I was thinking maybe velcro straps one either side, to secure the lid down?

I'm sorry for your loss hon, he was a beauty. Sending cyber hugs if wanted.

I'm sorry for your loss. I've lost a betta to jumping too and it gutted me.

Mine had a very small 1/2 inch square hole for feeding. Like literally just a hole not a gap. My betta girl jumped out of it, of all the chances.

Its as you say. You know they can jump but it still takes you completely by surprise.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back