Deep Sand / Substrate Beds

calandra

Fish Fanatic
Joined
Jul 5, 2008
Messages
60
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
swansea south wales
How deep is the substrate in your tank. Do you find the deeper the better (no smutty comments here guys) or is a shallow sand bed better?

Cal
 
I guess the deeper the better for plants, gives them more room to root.

Also good for burrowing fish.

I guess the main advantage to having less sand/gravel is cheaper to buy and less to clean
 
I'd probly say the deeper the better, but mines only 3"



:shifty:
 
I like medium, I like to have it around 1.5-2". Nothing scientific or anything like that :P, I just think it looks better :D
 
(no smutty comments here guys)

You just wait for Esfa :P :P :P

but seriously if you have your substrate too deep then anaerobic pockets could form and would cause havoc in your tank (i cant remember quite what they do though)
 
(no smutty comments here guys)

You just wait for Esfa :P :P :P

but seriously if you have your substrate too deep then anaerobic pockets could form and would cause havoc in your tank (i cant remember quite what they do though)

I heard that this had been proven wrong or something and Yeah just wait till Esfa gets here XD
 
How deep is the substrate in your tank. Do you find the deeper the better (no smutty comments here guys) or is a shallow sand bed better?

Cal

i suppose its preference

i mean the deeper it is the more crap gathers in it

i do mean shallow at front and deeper as it goes back to make it hare more depth when looking and for the larger plants at the back and smaller ones dont need as much at the front
 
Ignore all the rubbish about gas pockets, no harm atall to fish or plants. Deeper is fine just bare in mind, your loosing water volume for the sake of gravel/sand which can inhibit your fish stocking levels :) Personly i preffer fish to sand so I stuck to around 1.5".
 
Ignore all the rubbish about gas pockets, no harm atall to fish or plants. Deeper is fine just bare in mind, your loosing water volume for the sake of gravel/sand which can inhibit your fish stocking levels :) Personly i preffer fish to sand so I stuck to around 1.5".


i agree i aint heard of this ever happening and it aint ever happened to me and i keep most of my tanks with sand
 

Speak to Bignose or Andywg.

It was something about the gas released from these not being toxic as soon as it hits oxeygen, and as our tanks are well oxeygenated as the fish are in them, as soon as it is realised it is harmless.

That may not be it exactly, but im sure its something along those lines
 
Yup, it de-natures the moment it comes in contact with oxygen and of course, there is oxygen defussed in our tank water (hense fish are alive), so the moment the water touches it, no mroe danger :) Ive had black build ups under my sand, stirred it, gas comes out and my fish are healthier then ive ever seen them.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top