Death During Pregnancy

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

nmdelrio

Reaction score
I had a very pregnant black molly that died some time ago. I didn't exactly know the reason why.

Today, my very pregnant red platy died as well.

Both appeared that they were just about ready to drop frys. Both are in their usual tank with the rest of other livebearers. I did not plan to separate them in a breeding tank. This is not the first time that they are to have frys.

I do not know the reason they died.

Water is fine. The rest of the occupants (all livebearers and 7 neons) appear to be fine.

In both cases, could they have been stressed (due to the other tank occupants) and refused to drop frys and died?

:unsure:

hi,
ive only had this happen once, but she was new and it must of been stress, im sure you have hiding places for the mums, and the right number of male to female? this is a hard one to answer did they look ill at all,
sometimes like mine stress can kill sorry for your loss :-( donna.

They didn't look ill at all. Just one morning, in each case, I found them dead on their side at the bottom of the tank.

It makes me think it is stress from all the fish activity around. maybe they did not want to drop frys because of all the other fishes swimming around.

Since I had them, this is supposedly the second (or third) time they are to have frys. Once I miscalculated the days, I was transferring her to a breeding tank, she dropped frys in the plastic bag 30 minutes while I was acclimatising her.

This time, I decided not to move them to a breeding tank to let nature take its course --- survival of the fittest --- but never expected the mums to die.

:no:

Most reactions

trending

Back