Death by food?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

jonathanscottlee

Reaction score
Yesterday before feeding, all the fish were fine. After feeding, one of the neon tetra seemed to just die! On taking it out, I found that its stomach was very full. Is this because it was greedy and ate all the food? Or may be it ate a flake as soon as it hit the water and then swelled up inside him/her. Death by food! Can anyone else confirm that this is something that could possibly happen or should I be worried. Everything else seems fine - as soon as the fish was taken ill, I checked the water and nitrates and ammonia were normal, zero levels.

Should I crumble up the flakes before feeding?
I just want to confirm that this can possibly happen (overeating --> dying)?

sorry to here your fish died ,you could well be right about the over eating, co-incidence maybe ,but i had a neon that appeared to be unwell after feeding a few days ago , even posted a topic here. swollen tummy and was vertical in the water stabbing down with its head, very distressed and probably exhausting itself.turned the light out , thought this would calm it , no such luck . went to bed fully expecting it not to last till morning . must have been a tough one because it is still alive and well. i came to the same conclusion , either it ate dries flakes and it swelled inside or simply ate too much. pebbles :)

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back