Dead Platy

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Sailfin Zach

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
I just found my Micky Mouse Platy dead :rip: under a piece of wood after it was doing very well

DONT KNOW WHAT HAPPEND :dunno:

Do you know how old it was or what the water stats are? Did he have any visible markings? Was he sluggish? Were his gills red?
:rip: little dude

How long has it been in the tank? Any signs of disease? Any symptoms before death? It may just have been stress or trouble adapting if it had just been introduced to your tank. You may want to keep a close eye on the other fish, and keep testing your water! :good:

Do you know how old it was or what the water stats are? Did he have any visible markings? Was he sluggish? Were his gills red?
:rip: little dude
The water is good and There were no markings at all and im not eactly sure but i think it was 1and a half to 2 inches

How long has it been in the tank? Any signs of disease? Any symptoms before death? It may just have been stress or trouble adapting if it had just been introduced to your tank. You may want to keep a close eye on the other fish, and keep testing your water! :good:
I got the platy on Monday and it was doing great and i did not see him so i lifted the pieces of wood and then i saw him

Was it a female? Was there a male there? Was it the only female? I've read that males can harass females to death if each male doesn't have 2-3 females. I haven't come across that problem yet, though, so I don't have experience on the subject.

Was it a female? Was there a male there? Was it the only female? I've read that males can harass females to death if each male doesn't have 2-3 females. I haven't come across that problem yet, though, so I don't have experience on the subject.
No i got three males so they wouldnt have babies

When was the tank set up?

The water stats were fine in my son's tank, in fact I added 3 Platys at the same time Monday evening. The Mickey Mouse one was the biggest of the 3 we added. He always kinda hid a bit more than the other 2. We did a roughly 2/3rd's water change Wednesday night because I had to remove 2 dying Amazon plants & I wanted to vacuum the bottom well. 24 hours later we couldn't find "Mickey" so I picked up the driftwood & he floated out, upside down, dead. All other fish in the tank are fine. I didn't get to check the pH but that's the only thing that might have changed drastically enough with the water change.

When was the tank set up?

The tank was purchased as an established tank that had been running for well over a year. We bought it back in October. That tank has always had big shifts in pH since the tap water is roughly 7.4 & with the wood it's gone as low as 6.8 depending on how long between water changes.

Well this morning we found another dead Platy, the Sunburst Wag that my son named "Comet" so that's (2) dead Platys in roughly 1 week. The Other two look fine and so do the 17 Neons, 2 Glass Catfish, 3 Otos, 1 Kuhli & 2 Ghost Shrimp.

I just ran the tests:

0 Ammonia
0 Nitrite
7.0 pH
40 Nitrate

Other than the nitrate being a bit high I can see nothing that would cause the two Platys to die.

Any advice?

Hmmm very odd. All I can think of is the platy had grown attached to the first one that died of unknown causes and then died of loneliness. Were they a male and female? Is so it's more likely than 2 males or 2 females.

To be honest, I don't know what's happening. I've never run into disease or deaths in my aquarium. My only advice is a massive
water change. Even if the problem isn't solved by it, it can't hurt! :good:

Hmmm very odd. All I can think of is the platy had grown attached to the first one that died of unknown causes and then died of loneliness. Were they a male and female? Is so it's more likely than 2 males or 2 females.

No, all are/were males.

I was planning on doing a round of water changes later today anyway, except not really with that tank since it was just changed a few days ago. Looks like I'll be doing 3 tanks................ :rolleyes:

All of your fish except the platies are soft water fish. Do you know the hardness or the total dissolved solids of your water?

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back