Dead guppy. I replaced with two live bearer's

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
I agree fully. @pettygil you have some serious issues here, and we are really trying to help you. There are many members here with good knowledge on various aspects of this hobby, and none of us wants you to become discouraged or falter. We will get there. :good:

My pet store came over and gave me one of their cat fish cory's for my 6.5 gallon tank, I thought this is only going to be temp. Well this will be a few days since I bought the cory, which looks ill. So I put cat fish cory in my cycled 20 gallon tanks. Let's hope and pray the Cory will be ok in his 20 gallon tank. I know cory's are a schooling fish. How many Cat fish cory's can I put in a 20 gallon tank, along with my 9 glow tetra's?

Here is a video of my Cory, that i took out of the 6.5 uncycled tank and i put him n a 20 gallon tank, lets hope he survives.

First of all....kindly quit tapping the aquarium glass please, it stresses the fish out (even moreso when the fish is not well)

Secondly as has already been said....Cories are far too delicate for an uncycled aquarium and should not be used to cycle one.

And looking through the thread(s), I have to agree with everyone in that despite giving you very good and concise advice, you have apparently gone your own way regardless, which really negates the reason for asking for help.

There are no shortcuts in keeping fish. Learn to do it properly or consider getting a different and less complex pet.

For anyone else reading this thread -

Not only should cories never be used for cycling, they should never be kept as just one in a tank. It is also bad for any fish to be loaned on a temporary basis.
Any store using this practice should be avoided at all costs as they do not have the welfare of the fish as their main priotiry.

Ammonia isn’t the only thing to worry about, what is your PH, Nitrite, Nitrate, temperature and GH? If these are off it may also explain the death.

Dead guppy. I replaced with two live bearer's n a 6.5 gallon tank. I hope there is enough room. I have two live bearer's and 2 guppies in 6,5 gallon tank.
6.5 is not big enough for 4 fish. The inch per gallon rule is flawed, guppies produce a LOT more waste than the average fish their size.

For anyone else reading this thread -

Not only should cories never be used for cycling, they should never be kept as just one in a tank. It is also bad for any fish to be loaned on a temporary basis.
Any store using this practice should be avoided at all costs as they do not have the welfare of the fish as their main priotiry.
And for all anyone knows, a fish they buy there could have caught some disease from someone else's tank. Or caught a disease from one of the other fish that brought it from someone else's tank. Or had its health compromised by being used for a fish in cycle.

I have read through this thread and I have seen some very sound advice from members.
  • Fishless cycling is best.
  • Fishless cycling requires time and patience.
  • If fish are dying then something is wrong, or not yet right, and that is a signal not to put fish in the tank.
  • Don't tap the tank, rock it, move it, etc. This stresses the fish.
  • Ammonia is not the only thing to worry about when cycling.
nitrogen_cycle.jpg

This and other advice has been given in this thread. I may have missed a few bits of good advice also given but these feel like the most crucial for your tank.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back