Dead Female Guppy

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

evetalling

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
My female guppy was lying at the bottom of the the tank this morning. I put her into an isolation tank to see if she would feed but wouldn't. Her spine seemed to be curved, as if her tail was too heavy for her to swim and i noticed a red spot on her body towards her tail. One of my other females died a few weeks ago and i just want to check that i don't have a disease in the tank or something which may threaten the rest of my fish.  resize fish2.jpg

She looks very skinny, possibly internal parasites or bacterial infection, impossible to say for certain

I had a very similar issue with guppys myself about a year ago, i posted a topic but i never really got an answer to this issue myself.

What happened in my case though is it spread through out the tank and only seemed to infect females, all males were fine and survived without any issues.

Ill see if i can find the post i made and make sure there wasnt any advice that could be of use to you, i hope its not the same issue though as i found it very disheartening.

bluesword23516 said:
How old was the fish? 
Ive only had her about 2 months so not really sure how old she was when i got her
Brilly91 said:
I had a very similar issue with guppys myself about a year ago, i posted a topic but i never really got an answer to this issue myself.

What happened in my case though is it spread through out the tank and only seemed to infect females, all males were fine and survived without any issues.

Ill see if i can find the post i made and make sure there wasnt any advice that could be of use to you, i hope its not the same issue though as i found it very disheartening.
Thank you brilly, i hope so too!

I found the link i was talking about but theres not any real helpful information on there sadly

My female guppy which I've had for about 6-7 months also has a curved back now. I went out and came back to find that her back was significantly curved, as you said like her tail weighed too much for her to carry. She is still alive though and i just got two more female guppies and will update you on if this disease or whatever it is spreads to the other two females, or even the males in the tank.

Usually when guppies get old they get a curved back. Your fish may just be old, but it isn't for sure.

That could be it. I don't know about you, but i got mine from an LFS and have no idea how old it was when i got it.

To me it looks like starvation. Maybe it was being out competed for food? Have you noticed any fish picking on it? 

update: sorry i thought i had already posted an update on my fish but i guess that it did not go through, 

My female guppy ended up dying, i have taken pics but have not fully gotten the pics down to a low enough size to put on here. Fish Fanatic, I watched her at feeding tim and do not believe it to be starvation. I could always be wrong though.

The disease has not spread to my other female guppies, hopefully never will. I noticed a red dot, almost like blood where the fishes backbone is.....almost as if it got so curved that it snapped. Thinking of that possibility freaks me out, but i have no other explanation. When i found the fish it was lying on the bottom of the tank dead, no fish pecking at it or anything. I don't know if i came upon it right after it died or what but i thought that it was kind of weird.

I will try to post pics tomorrow, maybe i can downsize them with some app or something.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back